Bullhead catfish really do work!

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by SC Hartwell, Aug 27, 2006.

1. SC Hartwell

SC Hartwell New Member

State:
    Pickens, SC
    Well guys last night I went out fishing from the bank on Hartwell, SC. I had never tried bullheads for bait, i thought they wouldn't eat their own kind. Man was I wrong. That little catfish caught the only fish, considering that was the only bullhead I had for bait. I clipped the cat's barbs off and snipped his tail, then I hooked him right in front of where his tail was. Next, threw him in some good cover with a 3 ounce sinker. After about an our and a half the rod started jumping up and down. Next thing I knew I was reeling in a 14 pound flathead. I am definitely taking some bullheads back. O yea, for the guys that are confused Bullheads are baby Flatheads, you can use them from about 4"-10", they'll eat em'.

Attached Files:

2. LiquidSteel

LiquidSteel New Member

State:
    La Vista N
    I mean NO DISRESPECT.... But I love to eat bullheads.....

I had no Idea that they were used for bait. I have so much to learn from all you good people here, but using what I eat for bait???

I guess I do use cheesy hot-dogs for bait, and I've eaten my weight several times of those. What size hook do you use, and how do you hook those tastey little guys? And what kind of line do you use?

Thanks for helping my education

Kenny

3. skunkedagain

skunkedagain New Member

State:
    OHIO
    thats a nice one might have to try that some time.

4. grizzly

grizzly New Member

State:
    Griffithville, Arkansas
    Bullheads and flatheads are not the same thing. They are both catfish but that is as far as goes. They are seperate species. Look up Catfish Species and see. grizzly

5. ripleyhunter

ripleyhunter New Member

State:
    ohio

Bullheads are awsome bait. But the scariest encounter I ever had with a flathead was when I was reeling in a small (2 pd) channel cat and a huge flathead came up behind it and attacked. I did'nt know what to do but shake! So has any body had any luck using small cahnnels?

6. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    dude best not be useing baby flathead for bait cuz ull b payn a big ticket if ya get cought cuz a bullhead is not a baby flathead, look at some good pics and do some studyng

7. gcarlin

gcarlin New Member

State:
    Richmond ,Indiana
    Congrats on you catch and thanks for sharing

8. bigcatJoe

bigcatJoe New Member

State:
    indiana
    I never try them but it sounds like i need to.

9. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    Is it legal to use bullheads in most states? I don't think they're listed on the Iowa DNR as a usable baitfish. Just a question. Nice flatties btw.

10. SC Hartwell

SC Hartwell New Member

State:
    Pickens, SC
    Guys i'm sorry they look almost identical to me. They are just so small I can't tell the diff., It's just so many people have no clue what one is, you know I just wanted to get it out there. Thanks though for clarifying that guys.

11. SC Hartwell

SC Hartwell New Member

State:
    Pickens, SC
    I think they are useable in SC, or they just don't bother busting people since our lakes around here a major attraction.

12. SC Hartwell

SC Hartwell New Member

State:
    Pickens, SC
    I use anything from an 4/0 - 8/0 Kahle hook. That seems to work the best for me. If you throw those little buggers out in the middle of the channel during the day time you can catch just about anything cats, stripers, hybrid. Or at least I have.

13. SC Hartwell

SC Hartwell New Member

State:
    Pickens, SC
    This is what they look like, or the yellow ones at least.

Attached Files:

14. The J-Man!

The J-Man! New Member

State:
    St.Paul, MN
    Thanks for sharing your pics Jason, that's a nice flathead.

Bullheads are great live bait for flatheads, that's basically all I use.

15. SC Hartwell

SC Hartwell New Member

State:
    Pickens, SC
    No problem, i'm getting ready to stock up on em', they stay alive longer than any other live bait I have found.

16. Pylodictis Olivaris

Pylodictis Olivaris New Member

State:
    Iowa
    They are by far one of the best flathead baits you can use....however I would save your time and not worry about clipping the tail and fins. A flathead is going to enhale that thing no matter what, plus keeping them more lively and active will trigger a better response.....good luck

17. The J-Man!

The J-Man! New Member

State:
    St.Paul, MN
    I also don't think it is necessary to clip the fins and tail. I never have, and have had a lot of success with bullheads. However if that is what works for you, then by all means clip away.

18. ivan09193

ivan09193 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    They aren't baby flatheads, though. They're actually an entirely separate species. There are three different kinds of bullhead: black, yellow and brown. They get to be a few pounds when fully matured.

19. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    Kenny here in Fl lots of ppl eat bullheads,they are one of the best eating catfish. 1 1/2 - 3# range is the norm around here & can be cought in high numbers. Best damn bait I have ever eat!

20. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Yes they are one fine bait the yellow ones we call mud cat-the black ones lake cat in Ms:what: