Bullhead catfish or mudcat or yellow bellies whatever u call em

Discussion in 'ALL OTHER FISH' started by whiskerchaser, Jun 14, 2006.

1. whiskerchaser

whiskerchaser Member

State:
    New Mexico
    Hi guys i was wondering if u can keep bullhead alive in a 75 gallon fish aquarium? LOL like big gold fish how big do they get the biggest one i ever caught weighed about 3 1/2 lbs I killed him then used him for bait. caught some channels once he was cut up.

2. blindfly69

blindfly69 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    im thinking you could lol catfish are tough no matter which way you put it even if you dont have GREAT water in ur tank you could still probably keep at least a couple

3. rat fink

rat fink New Member

State:
    illinois
    how do you catch them aney wayive used most of the rig i know and i have now idea about bait

4. blindfly69

blindfly69 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i usally catch em with a bobber and a few split shot.....for bait jus use worms

5. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Nightcrawlers under a bobber around weeds and cattails is usually how I get them.

6. whiskerchaser

whiskerchaser Member

State:
    New Mexico
    I catch them on worms but I have caught them on chicken liver while channel fishing and shrimp too all while channel catfishing.

7. catfish_jordan

catfish_jordan New Member

State:
    Lincoln,NE
    yes you can just feed it everyday with nightcrawler

8. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    I have seen a few in different bait shops in big aquariums. So, I know it can be done. They do not grow real big either. Worms or liver are the best way to catch em.

9. caymancat

caymancat New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have found that hotdogs are a very effective bait for bullheads and I think they could easily last in an aquarium.

10. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

catfish are tough and you could keep it alive for a very long time as for bait night crawler is good under a bobber close to grass are cat tails. and in creeks.

11. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    I had a couple small Black Bullheads in an aquarium for a while a few years ago, they did good. I always have caught them with just about anything, small cut bait, nightcrawlers, and I think they love Livers.

12. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    yeah they eat just about anything.

13. The J-Man!

The J-Man! New Member

State:
    St.Paul, MN
    I always catch them on the bottom of lakes and rivers, no bobber. They are generally close to shore, in not too deep of water. They will eat just about anything, but I usually use nightcrawlers. Once you find one, you usually can sit there and catch a bucketfull.

They will do just fine in an aquarium, they are a very strong fish, and work great for flathead bait.

14. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    a 75 gal tank is plenty big for any of the bullies you have... just think of the tropical fish scale for tanks... 1 inch of fish for every gallon in the tank... means you can have 5 15 inches... 10 7.5 inches... 15 5 inches with out worry but if you've got a good filtration system (not that its really needed, just need to have it fairly well aerated) you can definitely keep more... Where'd you catch a 3.5 lber? biggest i've found is a 16 or 17 incher that weighed 2 maybe 2.5... the records are only around 6 for one species, 8 for another and i think 9 for the third... i don't know which is which but if you look on IGFA you'll find it

As for catching them... worms or liver work best... as soon as you find them they'll be easy to catch... i've had days where they are as easy to catch as bluegils (which is saying something cause bluegils are a fish a cast around here or at worst a fish every 4 casts when its really hot action)

15. catmanofohio

catmanofohio New Member

State:
    Aberdeen (Southern Ohio)
    welcome to the BOC josh.. and to the question, i have 2 yellow bellies in my 10 gal tank and about 30 little channel cats, i have had my biggest one (about 7-8 in) for close to a year, i just got some pond pellets and feed him like 6-8 every night and then like 2 nightcrawlers a week or so and he is growing pretty fast and is REAL fat... hope this helps