Bullhead catfish on the Grand, 7/29

Discussion in 'MICHIGAN RIVERS TALK' started by bwanatony, Jul 28, 2006.

1. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Grand River Valley, Weste
    Hey,
    I got myself some bullheads tonight, and Saturday night I'm taking them on a little fishing trip!
    Last time I fished a bullhead out there (with jross) I caught a 21.5!
    This time I'm hoping for a new Personal Best- 33 or higher (these are BIG bullheads).
    I'll let you know how it works out.

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

good luck I hope you catch your PB and a whole lot more.

3. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    hope you catch yoyr PB good luck with the bullheads:big_smile:

4. bigcatmaniac

bigcatmaniac New Member

State:
    California Miss
    good luck the big ones are hitting big bullheads
    i had one ripped off the hook a while back

5. catfishing is fun

catfishing is fun New Member

State:
    Missouri/Michigan
    if u want to make ur whole trip more fun, when i catch bullheads i use an ultralight with 6lb test, the bullheads feel HUGE, try it, good luck on ur PB

6. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Grand River Valley, Weste
    Well,
    the bullheads let me down. So did the bluegills, sunfish, cut bait, & night crawlers. Only caught a few small fish, nothing even worth photographing.
    Next year, I'm going to fish twice as much in May & June, and half as much in July.
    I sure hope August is better!

7. RiverKat

RiverKat New Member

State:
    Michigan
    I was looking forward to hearing about your new personal best flathead Tony. Oh well, that's fishing. I agree May and June are good months, especially June. I had good catches of flatheads in May on cut bait, in June it was 1/2 live and 1/2 cut, and in July it's been all cut. I can't get a Gar to take a live bait this month. I'm looking forward to August, especially if we get some good rains and the water levels stay at or near normal. The gizzard shad run up the river in August which makes fishing go bad for a couple weeks. Last year 2nd week of August I was motoring up river and had schools of shad jumping out of the water all arround me. You could have reached your hand into the water and scooped up a handfull of the 3- 5" minnows. Needless to say the cats were stuffed for a couple weeks. It might be worth it to try to catch some of these shad and vacum pack them for future use. I read a stomach content survey on flatheads trapped from a river in Minnesota and 90% was made up os gizzard shad. I can only assume they eat them pretty regularly in the Grand as well.

Dan