Bullhead Catfish in Peru area???

Discussion in 'INDIANA RIVERS TALK' started by fatcats89, Aug 18, 2009.

1. fatcats89

fatcats89 Member

State:
    Indiana
    Ok I've decided I want to try using bullheads for bait. I'm not sure where to look for them though? I've read in small muddy ponds, but all of them around me doesn't have them in it. So I'm thinking the wabash or the mississeniwa res. If anyone happens to know where they could be, or where else I should look in my area please let me know. I've been reading and a lot of you guys swear by them for bait so I want to give them a shot. All help is appreciated, thanks.

Cameron

2. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    I've been catching them in the Eel River below the stockdale dam. I haven't caught many but they are really nice size for flattie bait. We used a couple the other night & man, what everybody says about them is true. They can live FOREVER on the hook!!! And stay lively.

3. fatcats89

fatcats89 Member

State:
    Indiana
    Sweet thanks. What were you guys using for bait? Like hook size and such? And have you only caught them by the stockdale or have you caught them elsewhere in the river to?

4. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    I've been catching them on bee moths & a little #10 (or maybe #12) hook. I haven't been trying to catch them...been trying to catch bluegill, longear, & rock bass. The bullheads have been by-catch! Stockdale is the only place I've caught them...but its usually one of the only spots I get bait at. I saw a guys catch a similar sized bullhead below the dam in North Manchester but I've haven't tried for them there...yet!

5. fatcats89

fatcats89 Member

State:
    Indiana
    I tried the eel yesterday, but it was flooded. So after a few hours I went and fished a couple small creeks and ponds looking for them. Still nothing though. I think if I do ever manage to catch one I'm not going to want to use it haha. I'd be happy just watching it swim around in my fish tank. I'm running out of places to try and catch them, that I know of anyways. But I've been burning up chubs, so ill have a few of them for my next outing, along with my faithful pumpkinseed!

6. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    I caught a bunch of chubs the other day for bait too but didn't catch anything with them...but the sunfish didn't catch anything either. We usually try to get longear sunfish for bait, they're very common in the river & are usually found around log jams so I'm pretty sure the flatties snack on them often. Plus the little suckers are tough!

7. old newbie

old newbie New Member

State:
    indiana
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2009
  8. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    those east coast guys will eat anything. lol

9. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    When I lived in Massachusetts everyone fished for American Shad in the spring...it was a HUGE fishery! Yes, they ate them like crazy, especially the roe (eggs). I guy I worked with would catch shad at lunch, take them into the break room, cut them open, and fry up the egg sacs right there! I was pretty disgusted coming from spending 2 years in Kansas & using gizzard shad for bait. But let me tell ya, those American Shad are a bit different than our gizzard & threadfin shad. And man, they are FUN to catch on a flyrod!

10. Bryan8552

Bryan8552 New Member

State:
    nc
    I've never been to Indiana so I don't know anything about it. But, it sounds like yall have bullheads around there. With that being the case, it would surprise me if there weren't plenty of them in the ponds around there. Give em a fair test. Take several rods with you, drive a few pvc pipes in the ground (rod holders), and bait up some #1 or #2 hooks (not 1/0 & 2/0) with fishing worms (red wigglers, night crawlers....) and chicken liver. Use a piece of split shot and just throw it out there and let it sit on the bottom. You can also catch em under a cork. They bite a lot better at night than they do in the daytime and the sunfish won't worry you to death by stealing your bait.

To keep the liver on the hook.... Swipe an old pair of your mamma's pantyhose and cut it into 3" X 3" squares. Put the liver on the "hose" and fold it to make a little sack. Put the sack on the hook.

As often as not, you won't even know you have a bullhead on the hook until you check your bait. They just swim up to eat it, swallow it and then lay there. They'll swallow hook and all. If you remove the hook you'll kill em. Just cut the line, leaving the hook in his gut, and he'll live just fine.

And....... Yall are right.......... Us east coast boys will eat just about anything. LOL