bullhead catfish in Lake Truman

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by catfishscotty, Jan 20, 2008.

1. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    anybody else rember how many bullheads truman had after it flooded i spent alot of time as a kid fishing under T bridge in little tebo creek catching 5 gallon bucket fulls of bullheads and also down on pommy arms off the bank those where fun days on light tackle caught some big ones also 2 to 3 lbers man they could fight didnt take long for the flatheads to eat most of them hardly ever catch a bullhead now adays in the lake any body else rember that late 70s early 80s ?????? and the crappie fishing back then WOW .:big_smile:

2. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    I never catch bullheads on Truman, about have to go to the feeder creeks to find them. Biggest ones Ive ever caught were up in Minnesota. They had heads the size of grapefruits. The locals thought we were NutZ.....:smile2:

3. catfishscotty

State:
    mo
    earl can you imagine if we had the boats and gear and fishfinders we have today when they open the dam in the late 70s i can rember dad and the neighbors fishing off the rocks catching huge cats by the wheel barrels full. if we would of been anchored at the buoyies below the dam in our boats we have now would of been catching 600 lb plus catches aday. hell dad didnt even use led sinkers back then off the rocks he used spark plugs i didnt get to fish it back then i was to little dad was afraid the current would get me off the bank up there so i played up top in the grass i swear i was born 20 years too late :smile2::smile2:

4. catfishscotty

State:
    mo
    wow troy that would of been a blast what did they wiegh 6 lbs or so ????? i wish my son could exspereince catching them like that on his snoopy pole like i did. did they taste good in up there??? being colder water and stuff

5. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    The first time my dad and I went to Canada we stopped in No. Minnesota to camp for the night. I threw out a night crawler and BAM. Couldnt believe the size of them. We ended up with a picknic table full of them. I think we had as much fun catching them as we did the walleyes in Canada, well allmost any way.:big_smile:
    The locals thought catfish and bullheads were trash fish, more so the better for us.:wink: Ive caught some big bullheads before but nothing compared to those. Tasted like Chicken LOL......:smile2:

6. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    The Locals were right on one point about You being NutZ!!! Sorry Troy I coulden't resist,J.D.:wink:

7. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    John you craZy ol fart. Now who's callin who NutZ :smile2: Be good to see ya again. Im about out of 8oz. no-rolls, need to borrow your flame thrower and molds again. :cool2:

8. jeffjbeard

jeffjbeard New Member

State:
    warsaw missouri
    I remember going to Storm lake in Iowa when I was about six all of us kids catching bullheads one after the other that was my first experence fishing. It sure was a blast. :big_smile: