Bullhead Catfish - How well do they work as bait in IN waters in your experiences?

Discussion in 'LOCAL INDIANA TALK' started by Trahviiz, Nov 10, 2008.

1. Trahviiz

Trahviiz Member

State:
    Indianapolis
    I know it's a little late in the year to be asking, so I guess I'll store up on knowledge over winter. How well do they work in Indiana's waters from your experiences? The creek that runs behind my house has an abundance of them ranging from around 4 in. to about 10 in. It seems every time I throw out my bait trap it fills with bullheads in no time.

Any tips on how to get some chubs would be great too. I see them in the creek all the time but I can never get them in the trap.

2. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Never have tried bullheads as bait, but I sure do like eating them. I know some guys who live and die by them, I'd try them but I don't know many places around where I live that has an abundance of them. As for the chubs, I use a lot of creek chubs for bait. The make good cut bait as well as live. I usually just catch them with my panfish setup using small chunks of nightcrawler and about pencil eraser size pieces of hot dog. Use size 8 or smaller hooks for them.

3. Trahviiz

Trahviiz Member

State:
    Indianapolis
    A few months ago I took some of the larger bullhead and cooked them along with some channels I caught. I didn't really notice a difference, they both went down well. :roll_eyes:

I've never been able to get chubs on r&r, there's too many gills and bass. Every time the creek goes down from flooding there's chubs that have been caught in puddles on sandbars, ect, so I know they are there.

4. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Eat em! If you cpr big fish these are a great way to eat fish . they are tasty and in some places over populated . and if you use an ultra light with 2lb test fun enough to catch !:wink::cool2:

5. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    yeah man eat them bullheads up! Make a deal with ya--- grab me some of those Bullheads (alive) and I'll get you some chubs.... I havent even seen a bullhead since I was maybe 10! BTW, most I've seen, seine those bigger chubs.
    I think blazer r&r's his chubs

6. Trahviiz

Trahviiz Member

State:
    Indianapolis
    The plan is to have a few flatties eat 'em up come spring. :roll_eyes:

The larger ones are usually caught on worms, shrimp, ect. There's no way they could fit in the trap. They're terrible about swallowing hooks though.

You really want some Dr.?

7. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    yes sir... I have a small pond at the north end of my property I want to breed them in.

8. Trahviiz

Trahviiz Member

State:
    Indianapolis
    Alright then, whenever I can I'll try to fill up a bucket or two for you, or however many you want.

9. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    cool beans man! Let me know, I'll come get 'em....thanks BIG TIME!:0a31:

10. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    BTW bro, I like the new avatar!:cool2:

11. Trahviiz

Trahviiz Member

State:
    Indianapolis
    It's not a problem.

Now back to the matter at hand! Bullhead for bait, anyone?!

12. diver268

diver268 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I do know that smaller bullheads are a great spring time bait for nice smallmouths. I have read it several times and used them a couple of times years ago. I used to have a place that was just full of nice bullheads. For the last couple of years now all I catch in that place is channels. I dont know where the bullheads have gone, but they are gone. Try using some small bullheads in the spring for some smallies.

13. Trahviiz

Trahviiz Member

State:
    Indianapolis
    I couldn't tell you how many 3lb smallies I've caught this year on shrimp while catfishing. I also got my PB this year on a bluegill. With all the bullheads in the creek I wouldn't doubt that they'd produce some nice size smallies from there.

Apparently there's a lot of crappie there too, I've never fished for them before, but I'm thinking of trying it out before the year is up, or come spring.

I love having me a fishin' hole 30 seconds out of my back door. :0a23:

14. kyleco55

kyleco55 Well-Known Member

State:
    Central In
    suprise suprise!!! DP wanting someone else to catch fish for him:smile2::smile2:

15. Trahviiz

Trahviiz Member

State:
    Indianapolis
    Yep! I say it should get me an all access pass to his lake! Jk :smile2:

16. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    i personally havent tried bullheads for flats. i never had the need to,gills work just fine. if thats the easiest bait you can get then im sure they will work for you. there are people that use them with great success. try posting your question in the flathead section for more answers. you are rite they eat very well from clean waters. i stocked a few in my moms pond just for that reason. a few are 16-18in now and just as yummy. as for chubs, they are one of the best baits for predators. they will catch anything that eats live fish! i used them all the time when channel fishing. i caught mine with a cane pole, heavy line and light wire hooks. the rig was so i could get it back re-bend the hook and keep fishing fast. i had a milk run of bridges i hit when on a bait run from the roads. i found them in eddies full of trash(hiding no dought lol). i put a bell sinker on bottom then the hook up about 2 inches. i lowered it down in and around the trash till i found the sweet spot were they gathered. bee moths or worms was my bait of choice. now days i think i would just use "gulp earthworms" like i do for my bait gills. chubs are probably THE best bait in areas where skipjacks are not found. they really smell and thats a huge part of the equation when fishing running water.

i agree Travis, you should get an all access pass to that pond! lol :wink:

good luck with the chubbies brother Travis!

17. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    i forgot, i like the avatar too bro.

18. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    DONE!:wink:

19. Trahviiz

Trahviiz Member

State:
    Indianapolis
    Somethings fishy! :smile2:

20. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Do I have access too? I doubt if I will do much damage to the population. :wink:

BB in SC