BullHead catfish - how do u cook them?

Discussion in 'ALL OTHER FISH' started by whiskerchaser, Jul 7, 2006.

1. whiskerchaser

whiskerchaser New Member

State:
    New Mexico
    HI guys I recently went to springer lake and caught 20 bullheads everywhere from about 8in to about 14 with about 15 bein in between 12 and 14 inches I didnt catch anything else and was wondering if u can eat bullhead? and how do u prepare and cook them to be tasty?

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

you can eat them. Fillet would be first but since they are small just skin cut the head off gut and fry.

3. cschottfish

cschottfish New Member

State:
    Ofallon, Mo.
    Skin them roal them in andeys and fry. Use to catch a lot of them fishing at my grandparents.

4. Ellis

Ellis New Member

State:
    Yellow Springs, Ohio
    Fillet it, then grill it with a flavoing you like. You'll need a pretty big size to feed more than 2 people though. Hard to get the meat out

5. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    I cook em like i do my channels. Fillet, bread and then fry.

6. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    I agree 100%! Good eating!

7. whiskerchaser

whiskerchaser New Member

State:
    New Mexico
    Thanks guys I always heard they taste like mud since they re called mudcats but I will have to try them anyway best to not waste lol.

8. porboy

porboy New Member

State:
    TX Panhand
    Hey, Super eating fish. I just skin, cut head and fins off and fry or grill. The bones are easy to pull the meat off.

9. Ellis

Ellis New Member

State:
    Yellow Springs, Ohio
    The taste of the fish always depends on the environment it lived in. If you caught one at your local muddy pond its going to tast just a lil funky. I always like the ones from lakes or reservoirs.

10. catsrking

catsrking New Member

State:
    Iowa
    The bullheads I have caught here, I treat just like catfish. Fillet 'em and fry 'em up with your favorite seasoning. They cook up real white.

11. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I have ate a lot of different fish in my life from many different places.A Bullhead out of clean flowing black water is my favorite.Out of the same water when it is hot and stagnant water,they taste terrible as do all the fish.Bullheads often survive in conditions that kill other fish.Our fish occasionally eat a "STINK BUG" in the summer.Now this does give the fish a HORRIBLE taste.

12. porboy

porboy New Member

State:
    TX Panhand
    When we used to catch bullheads out of a real muddy pond, after cleaning
    we just soaked them in salt water for awhile and froze them or ate them. The
    muddy taste was gone. One of the best eating fish ever.

13. blindfly69

blindfly69 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i like to skin them..gut them and then cut their heads off......if you can eat gar then i guess you can eat any fish if you try hard enough

14. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Gut em', skin em', clip the spines off, soak in a bag with milk, bread with your favorite breading or something like Shore Lunch, and fry em' up, probably one of my favorite fish to eat.

15. LarryW

LarryW New Member

State:
    Abbeville Louisiana
    I cook them the same as any other catfish, deep fryed.

16. katfish hunter

katfish hunter New Member

State:
    Jacksonville,FL.
    I've caught a whole lotta bullheads and you should gut em, cut the head off ,oh yeah skin em, bread em, and fry em!

17. catfishkatmando

catfishkatmando New Member

State:
    Salem, WV.
    I had a army friend from Guam and he ask me how I grilled my catfish. I told him If they are small I skin them and he says you mean you supose to skin um. He had just guted them and grilled them
    It worked for him. Worth a try.

18. EsoxJohnny

EsoxJohnny New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Soak them in some saltwater or milk overnight and fry them up. You probably won't be able to tell much of a difference between bullheads or any other catfish. I really like using the Zatarain's chicken fry mix. If you want something besides fried fish, I recommend putting some cajun seasoning on them and grilling them. Pour a little creole butter over them when their done.