Bullhead catfish help

Discussion in 'LOCAL IOWA TALK' started by Pylodictis Olivaris, Jul 6, 2006.

1. Pylodictis Olivaris

Pylodictis Olivaris New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I need bullhead help. I can't find em anywhere that is consistent enough to count on them being there when I need bait. I have had a couple of creeks in the past where I usually could find them but with the low water and lack of rain that is no longer an option. The larger ponds and small lakes that I know they are in, are too difficult to get enough of them for a nights worth of bait without putting in a whole night catching them one by one on rod and reel. Almost all of the spill ways from these ponds and lakes are bone dry because the water isn't high enough to run any water so I have no way of netting or trapping them.....I was really trying to find them in May to get ready for June when the flatheads really start to turn on but that has come and gone and now I'm looking for bait again to get ready for them coming off of the spawn.....I'm not asking for anyone to give up hot spots for bait or anything like that but if someone is willing I need a little help. Anywhere within an hour of Des Moines works. So if you have any ideas or locations that you would share let me know...It will be greatly appreciated

2. mikeskywalker

mikeskywalker New Member

State:
    IOWA
    Well todd if you come to the central iowa catfish anglers gathering we will help you find the bullheads

go to the member gathering link it is the central iowa thread

3. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Use shad or gills and leave the bullheads to grow and reproduce so you have more next year. I had to retock my pond beause the big ba$$ eat the young of the year and my neighbor fished the rest out.

4. renegadecatfishing

renegadecatfishing New Member

State:
    missouri
    Me and my partner are farmers and always have a couple of stock tanks not in use that we use for bait that comes in seasonialy. You can purchase a 75 gallon Poly tank for 36-45 bucks at any farm and ranch type of store and just add air bubbler and you can keep them a long time. You can purchase fish food as well at the farm store. They are very handy to have.

5. cathunter28

cathunter28 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    there is a pond about 10min away from me on hwy 44 that is full of bullhead i went about a week ago and had about 12 of them and 15 chubs from my creek that has never gone dry so if you are anywhere around dallas county area be glad to show you where it is