Bullhead catfish for table-fare?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Gibbzilla, Jul 27, 2007.

1. Gibbzilla

Gibbzilla New Member

State:
    East Texas
    I know some of you eat bullheads, but the one's I catch seem like they'd be kind of fatty even when filleted. Are the fillets just like channel filets? If they are good filleted, do I just dress them like any other catfish? Cook the same?

Thanks,
    Adrian.

2. Love Them Cats

Love Them Cats New Member

State:
    Vinita, Oklahoma
    I clean and cook them like I do all my fish, fillet them and dip them in some batter and deep fry and they taste pretty good.

Ken

3. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    Same as any other catfish. They are some of the best cats as far eatting fish goes.

4. rippinlips

rippinlips New Member

State:
    iowa
    I am not to fond of the bullheads here in iowa.

5. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    Well it has a lot to do with the water they come from. I find they are much better in places that have a sandy or rocky bottom and clean water. If from a muddy area they are not so good and I won't keep them for the table.

6. RpR

RpR New Member

State:
    Minn
    Here in Minnesota, and I used to go fishing just for them often, years back, as the water warms, the quality of the water then came from did make a difference. Not a much as it did with bass, but you could tell.
    Bob

7. south_va_fisherman

south_va_fisherman New Member

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    can be pretty nasty, but if they are cooked right they can be excellent

8. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    I agree with the posts about water quality playing as a factor. Growing up in Ohio, we used to catch them clean them and deep fry. I'll tell ya, having a mess of bullhead in the freezer makes for a great fish fry in the winter months!

9. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    round here they taste pretty crappy.

10. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I love eating Bullheads the meat be real soft in summer.

11. RpR

RpR New Member

State:
    Minn
    Bullheads after skinning have a dark stripe down the side, their nerve system or something similar, that must be cut out, or they will often taste badly.
    Bob

12. GregRobinson

GregRobinson New Member

State:
    Walla Walla Washington
    The bullheads I used to catch were never big enough to fillet out, so I just fried them up whole in beer batter. As others have mentioned the water quality does seem to have an influence on the taste, but if I wasn't in a hurry I just kept them alive in a tub of clean water for a few days and that helped. Alternatively, soaking the meat in saltwater for a bit also worked great for me.

13. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    I agree all the bullheads I caught in canada were of top eating quality the ones I have eaten from murkier water were not as good they can be in my opinion one of the best eating fish there is if ya find the right body of water:big_smile: I would imagin that their diet plays a roll in the taste as well not sure but maybe:roll_eyes:

14. porboy

porboy New Member

State:
    TX Panhand
    I am like Greg, either put them in clean water for a few days or soak in saltwater after cleaning. I cook them whole and they are great eating.
    Bill

15. P. nasuta

P. nasuta New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I've got to agree with Swampy, it depends where they came from. I have eaten some from nice, clean flowing water and they were as good as any catfish I've eaten. However, I've had some from a shallow, muddy pond that were caught in the warm water of summer and they were absolutely horrable. I think the table quality of most fish has to do with the water quality where the fish was caught and how the fish was handled after being caught.

Take Care,
    P. nasuta

16. Larry Beever

Larry Beever New Member

State:
    Indianapolis Indiana
    All the ones I've ever caught here in Indiana had
    a lot of yellow in their meat and they never tasted
    good. I gave up on them.

17. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    I have to agree on the ponds,ponds seem to be just as bad or worse as muddy water. One small creek I fish has the best bullheads I've ever eat,it has a sand bottom and a lite flow of fresh water. A larger river I fish I won't eat bullheads from because the meat is real yellow and taste bad,that river has a muddy bottom and heavy flow of dark water. I know some ppl that will eat them from any place they catch them,when I tell them they are better at one place then another they think I'm nuts.

18. Catman92

Catman92 New Member

State:
    New York
    I caught a 2 pound brown a couple weeks ago fried it up, and it tasted just fine it all depends on how you cook it and if you clean it properly.

19. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    I used to think that. But Ive eaten bullheads from more areas than most and Im almost 100% sure that the body of water depicts the taste of the fish. Most Glacial lakes Ive had them from in the North such as The Rideau in Canada and the Finger lakes in New york they were to die for. But the muddier water such as ponds and muddy creeks Ive ate them from in Jersey California and Georgia I have yet to be happy with the flavor. I will be taking the advice of a few and see if I can set up a holding tank of sorts in the garage to kinda purge them of the foulness.

20. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I think the eating of bullheads is a generation thing the old timers love them for some reason. Maybe that was all they could catch and would not throw anything away!! :tounge_out: