bullhead catfish for flathead catfish bait?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by slikk03, Oct 12, 2008.

1. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i got some bull heads and some gills, never used bullhads befor, the gills got runs all n ight long the bullheads got none, any body use them , i had no luck

2. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    Bullheads are good bait, I use them early in the year, as the fall hits I go to softer baits... (creek chubs, shad, cut baits, crawlers, liver, shrimp)

Don't give up on them just yet!

3. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Yes they are great flathead bait, but I agree they are not a prime fall bait. I would use smaller baits.

4. scwhite

scwhite New Member

State:
    Shreveport , La.
    Flatheads will eat anything they can get in there mouths . Bream is best bait you can get but keep those small cats. I mean 12 inch and use them where you know some very large Flatheads hang out it might take longer but the big cats will take them . I have found chanel cats in the stumacks of four big cats this week.

5. mankind

mankind New Member

State:
    ashland ky
    bull heads are for sure big flathead bait,but i'm a bream bait man myself its hard to beat them:wink:

6. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    yea bream i say bluegill, trid bullheads but but dident get a bite on them

7. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    Never used a bullhead for bait,but I wanna try it now. i just throw them back in the pond usually.

8. Dan the Fisherman

Dan the Fisherman New Member

State:
    Ramsey, Illinois
    I started using black bullheads for bait 30 years ago. I was fishing one day with earthworms, trying to catch channel cats. I would catch a bullhead. While I was reeling in the bullhead, all of a sudden my pole would double. I would fight the fish for awhile and then the pole would come back up and I would have a 6" black bullhead. A few times I noticed abrasions on the fish. I tried fishing with them a few times after that. My Zebco 404 and 5' rod struggled with the extra weight. I caught a few bass and a nice blue cat out of that pond with small bullheads. I have caught several bass and catfish with 6" and under bullhead. Not much luck with larger bullhead.

9. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Bullheads are great bait for flatheads, they are one of my favorites.. I do agree though for fall time, downsize and use smaller softer slender baits such as creek chubs, suckers, and small bass..The flats seem to stay with these baits to eat, not the short runs, then leaving it dead.... rollo

10. catdaddy007

catdaddy007 Member

State:
    SE Arkansas
    Oh yeah!! Bullhead (we call them mudcat around here) are very good flathead bait.

11. Holdmhook

Holdmhook New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Jake. I think bullheads are excellant bait as so with baby catfish of any kind, 10 inches down, I cut there two fins off the head area slip a 7 ott hook right under the skin below dorsal fin, fish straight down out of boat and forget about him, he will last longer than you and i will fishing. But I like to put two baby catfish out and then I agree with most, then i load the area with big bream, on only circle hooks. Set back and wait for the rod tips to touch the water. [dont get no better nan nat] good fishin, holdmhook.

12. andrew76

andrew76 New Member

State:
    southwest ohio
    Well 8-10 in yellow bellys are my fav. iv busted a lot of monsters on them.

13. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    I heard guys say to snap the spines off I never caught a flathead I'm just passin along what I've read on here already I'm hoping to put to use my first season chasin flats this spring wish me luck:wink:

14. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P

I agree! Large bullheads in the 8 to 12 inch range are the best bait to bust a humungo flathead. You may not get many bites and runs, but when you do, you'll get a heart attack, your blood pressure and adrenaline's up and you can guarantee that a real nice flathead is chomping down!

15. Joey6500

Joey6500 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I don't think removing the spines makes a difference.They are a natural prey item and I think removing the spines takes some life out of the bullhead.I want them as lively as possible

16. scwhite

scwhite New Member

State:
    Shreveport , La.
    I allways cut of the spines . I agree with you it don't make any defronts to the Flatheads they can swollow it . But it is better on you when handeling them you dont get spined by one of them.

17. Eudora

Eudora New Member

State:
    Lambertville, MI
    The only time I've used bullhead was fishing set lines. We had a whole mess of farm pond bullhead, and they yielded 5 flatheads off of 20 lines, including a 50 pounder. They do stay alive on a hook longer than most fish, maybe with the exception of goldfish. I like putting a hook right throough their back, they didn't seem to mind, and they struggled on it all night. As far as trimming fins, I have to say that I leave them intact, as it prolongs their activity. With sharp-finned fish, I've heard that flatheads hold them in their mouths until the fish suffocate and then they swallow them once they're dead and their fins aren't protruding. In a nutshell, I'd say keep throwing bullheads, they're lively and a natural prey for flatheads.

18. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    When I am "looking for the one" and use oversized bullheads in the 8 to 12 inch range, I like to cut the spines off or the bait would be too lively and swim into somekind of cover/rock. Oversized baits and baitclickers don't go well hand in hand.