Bullhead catfish for cut bait

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by jailcop2, May 20, 2006.

1. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    Has anyone tried bullheads for cut bait ? If so whats your method for cutting them up?
    Thanks
    Brian

2. KanHeadhunter

KanHeadhunter New Member

State:
    S. E. K.
    I would use them alive, but if you must cut them up just cut into 1/3rds. When you get to the pectrol fins break them off.

3. douglas_413

douglas_413 New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    What is the biggest bullhead you would use whole?

4. nuthinlikeacat

nuthinlikeacat New Member

State:
    Eden Prairie, Minnesota
    I would check with your state laws to see if you have any limitations on size. Here in MN we can only use bullheads up to 7" long. If you have no size limit...the bigger the better!:big_smile:

5. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    I would use them up to 8 inches was thinking about using them for blue or channels.
    Brian

6. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    I read, in a few differnt places, that Yellow Cats will go after Bullheads first when introduced into new waters. I used them live and they work great Live. I've tried cut Bullhead aliitle but with no sucess.

Here in NE Ohio fer Shovels on the Ohio River Cut Shad is what the Flatheads told me they want the most from what I've used. Alot of people here say cut Skipjack here on BOC.

7. whiskerchaser

whiskerchaser Member

State:
    New Mexico
    I use mudcat i dont know if they are the same as bullhead but i think they are I cut them in thirds as soon as i catch them and my friend caught a 25in channel one time.