Bullhead catfish for catfish bait in Arizona

Discussion in 'LOCAL ARIZONA TALK' started by AZflats, Jul 30, 2006.

1. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Lots of other folks use Bullhead cats for bait..
    How about you?:roll_eyes:

* Is it legal to use bullheads or even channel cats for bait here in AZ?

2. azcatman

azcatman New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Pretty sure they are not allowed. Seems like carp and sunfish caught from the same body of water are about all you can use. Might be wrong but I think that is the way the regs read.

3. hoosier angler

hoosier angler New Member

State:
    Arizona
    The short answer is I believe is no.
    You will have to dig through the regs. see link

Look at R12-4-101 page 47
    R12-4-313 page 48
    17-101 page 44
    It basicly says all catfish species are game fish and you cannot use gamefish for bait (except some of the sunfish family).
    There are other bait fish rules that apply also like caught from the body of water you are using them in(some exceptions)etc...
    Some bodies of water have other special restrictions.
    I have lived here over a year now and I am still trying to figure out fish and game rules & regs. Arizona probably has some of the most complex rules as any state I have seen. Your best bet is to pick up the free guide every year and check for yourself and call for clairification on any questions. See my post about the Verde river.

http://www.azgfd.gov/pdfs/h_f/fishing_regs_w_maps.pdf

4. martinman

martinman New Member

State:
    Clinton, Iowa
    That is correct...bullheads cannot be used as bait within the state of Arizona.

Some parts of Arizona you can't even use carp or sunfish for bait...Coconino County...only waterdogs.

Moving back from Georgia was really hard for me to get used to. There, you could use anything for bait...even gamefish, so long as it was caught with a rod and reel. They also did not have a two pole limit either.

5. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    I didnt even realize that bullheads live out here. I have not seen any at all. How far south do they range?

6. SilencedMajority

SilencedMajority New Member

State:
    White Mtns, AZ
    I've caught one on worms in the lower salt river a few years back, it surprised me I found one this far south. I don't know where else you'd find them besides northern arizona.

7. chris45601

chris45601 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Oopss...I used a 6 inch long channel that one of my wifes little brother caught to catch My P.B. Game warden didn't say anything about the channel cat i was using as bait