Bullhead catfish for bait??

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by Baker, May 24, 2007.

1. Baker

Baker New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    gotta farm pond that i have a blast catchin these little 5in-6in bullheads out of...just get some light rod/reel/line and get to it lol. anyway, i can catch about a dozen a day, and i need to get them out of the pond, and i thought that maybe i could use them for channel cat bait. has anyone used bullheads?how should i do it..cut up or fish live or what? i have some freezing right now that i will use as fertilizer if noone thinks they will work. very slimy and bloody so i was thinkin they might work, what do yall think?

2. JMarrs328

JMarrs328 New Member

State:
    York/Harrisburg, PA
    I've fished live bullheads for flatheads with pretty decent success. I've never used any fish as cutbait that hasn't gotten some kind of result, so i can't imagine using them as cutbait would be a bad decison. You might want to make a post in the flathead section about using bullheads as bait.

3. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Evan,

Many reports about the success of bull-head catfish as flathead catfish bait.

There has been a few that have reported using them filleted and chunk bait(ed) for channels with good success.

Give it a try and post the reports for us!

Paul

4. catstalker459

catstalker459 New Member

State:
    state line city, indiana
    they are hard to come by around here, but yes i have had some moderate sucess with them

5. Baker

Baker New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    wow that seems hard to believe that a bullhead would be hard to come by lol..round here every farm pond you go to will just be LOADED with them...and they eat everything and that leaves very little chance for enything else to survive. i really dont like the things lol so i figured hey, maybe the cats will eat them...im going to cut it up and try it out..ill keep yall posted. cya later, Evan

6. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    Never caught any channels on them, but catch flatheads all the time on them.

7. pinkie43

pinkie43 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I have used bullheads cutbait on trout lines with good sucess. Have even caught large channels on bullhead that bit the cutbate and got hooked! If you are in an area where there are bullhead they seem to perfer the bullhead cutbait.
    Sam

8. Baker

Baker New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    well i went on an over nighter..i had cut bullhead on one pole and a bluegill on the other and i caught a flathead on the bluegill but nothing on the bullhead...no cats all night..only caught one fish tho.

9. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    a lot of the time, bullheads will outperform live perch, for me. in a river, anyway. in lakes, i do better with live perch. have caught a few very nice channels on 4-6 inch bullheads, but only with the fins clipped. i have never caught a channel on an uncut bullhead, for some reason.