Bullhead catfish for bait?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by SC Hartwell, Jul 9, 2006.

1. SC Hartwell

SC Hartwell New Member

State:
    Pickens, SC
    I was wondering if anyone has ever used bullheads to catch flattys. I can get the bullheads easy I just don't know how to fish them? Can anyone tell me anything? Thanks

2. Larry

Larry New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Bullheads are excellent bait up in MN. They are tough as nails and move like crazy. Perfect for Flatty fishing. If you can catch them, then its definatly the right price also.
    I prefer a tail or dorsal hook, My buddy likes to lip hook.
    Make sure you have a pretty stiff rod if your fishing with bullies over 5 inches. you can sit and watch your rod flutter all night.
    and you can keep them for up to a couple weeks. I have some that are just starting to die off, had them in the garage for 1.5weeks. They do need air if your going to do that. Use a little aquirium bubbler and your good to go.
    Good luck
    Let us know how you do.
    thanks
    Larry

3. SC Hartwell

SC Hartwell New Member

State:
    Pickens, SC
    thanks for the info. man! I'm really looking @ giving it a whirl.

4. hangemhorns

hangemhorns New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    never had but heard it is the best

5. suddawg

suddawg New Member

Here's what we do when we use small bullheads for bait. Cut some of the tail off, to keep them from swimming you into a snag. Only cut enough to were they're struggling more to swim. We also clip some of the sharp bones on the rest of their fins. They've worked pretty good for Flatheads.

SudDawg

6. catfishkatmando

catfishkatmando New Member

State:
    Salem, WV.
    They are about the heardyist lively and long living on the hok bait you are going to find and also very tastey in the pan

7. tbartek

tbartek New Member Supporting Member

State:
    New Germany, PA
    I've never tried them as bait but I'll agree whole heartedly on the tastey in the pan part!:big_smile:

8. blindfly69

blindfly69 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    hook them behind the dorsal fin....i want to try it soooo bad....i can catch em right and left but i've never gotten around to it

9. nuthinlikeacat

nuthinlikeacat New Member

State:
    Eden Prairie, Minnesota
    Bullheads have always been my bait of choice. They last long and are very lively. Try them once, and you'll never go back!

10. JustCats

JustCats Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I personally have never used them. I worked with an old carpenter on a construction job that used them. We were going to have a fry one weekend, the super I worked for at the time asked the old carpenter to bring in some fish. He gladly paid him for them. The carpenter brought in the fish in two large coolers, well lo and behold the super had a meeting come up so he ask me if I could cut up the filets and clean them up for the fry. I gladly said yes. I took the coolers into the kitchen, opened them up, they were still slightly frozen in pretty big chunks. I thought the large chunk was several filets frozen together. Boy was I wrong, the filets must have come from at least 30 to 40 lb cats.

I asked the carpenter the next week how he caught the large cats. He told me he used bullheads or "chugheads". He said he caught them on limb lines. He would tie on the line and use a bungie cord so the line wouldn't break. He would then hook the bullheads in the tail. He said all the comotion and the squawking of the bullheads would bring the big cats up to feed. He later brought in several photos and there wasn't a small fish in the whole bunch. Sorry, long story but thought I'd share it.

Tony

11. SC Hartwell

SC Hartwell New Member

State:
    Pickens, SC
    Thankyou all of you. This post has really helped me to decide to use the bullheads for bait. I can't wait to go out and try them on some big flatheads. Thanks once again guys you all have been great help :wink: !

12. suddawg

suddawg New Member

Good luck with the bullheads. Now I just wish myself and TA2D could sell them as legal bait in Nebraska. :angry:

SudDawg

13. navigator

navigator New Member

State:
    NC- Brunswick County
    could you sell them as food? :)

14. cathunter28

cathunter28 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    bullhead are a very good bait for flatts i have had very good luck with them. i use 5in to 9in it will look like you are getting a nibble but it is just the bullhead you will know the movment of the bullhead to a hard hit from a flat. good luck and hold on.

15. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    I have several of the In-fisherman Catfishing DVD's and Doug Stange and the boys use and recommend Bullheads for Flathead fishing. I have never tried them but if I can find a place to catch some I will indeed start using them.

16. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Those guys are Minnesota boys and Bullheads are usually the #1 choice for flatheads up here. Flatheads love live bait and there isnt a livlier bait than a bullhead!! I wont use anything else. 8/0 octopus gama circle hooked at an angle behind the dorsal fin. There is no need to cut the tail or the barbs but you might need to up the heaviness of your wieght to keep them in place. The biggest channels I have seen caught have also been on live bullheads. You can also pick up large walleyes on bullies as well!:big_smile:

17. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    I can honestly say I've never seen them refered to as "bullhead catfish" before.

18. kurt

kurt New Member

State:
    ohio
    Cutting the fins is a covience thing for taking the bait out of the bucket. People dont cut the fins then throw them back for a flathead to eat. Flatheads could care less, but i agree there is no need to cut the tail or anything.

19. catgetter1

catgetter1 New Member

State:
    louisiana
    Never tried um', gonna hafta. Anyone caught them on the Red. I catch alotta small channels rec'on they would work?

20. SC Hartwell

SC Hartwell New Member

State:
    Pickens, SC
    Thanyou everyone. Like catgetter said I wonder if smaller channel cats would work too.