Bullhead catfish for bait

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by dcastle, Jul 13, 2009.

1. dcastle

dcastle New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I caught two dozens bullheads I want to use on limb lines for flatheads. They range in size from 6 inches to 12 inches. What would be the best size hook and where would be the best place to hook them?
    Thanks

2. andrew76

andrew76 New Member

State:
    southwest ohio
    Well I would use a 6/0 or 8/0 circle. And you need to clip off the horns and hook them right behind the dorsil fin. Hope this helps bro.

3. Missouricathunter25

Missouricathunter25 New Member

State:
    Weston, Missouri
    I have also cuaght big channels with bullheads. Also caught a 10 lb drum on a bullhead as well. I was surprised. I thought it was a big Flathead pulling my bank line up. :angry: Bullheads are great bait. They also stay alive on the hook longer than any bait i have ever used.

4. jimmykemper

jimmykemper New Member

State:
    Sturgeon, Misso
    how about little 3 in. bull head?

5. limted

limted New Member

State:
    indiana
    i cant even find a bull head anymore i used to use them for bait for flatheads but i cant catch them anymore i live in indiana the dishing is going down hill her fast

6. jimmykemper

jimmykemper New Member

State:
    Sturgeon, Misso
    we have a couple ponds here in missouri that are loaded with bull head

7. kmcalester

kmcalester New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    I gotta ask where did you catch them at?

8. limted

limted New Member

State:
    indiana
    all the creeks and rivers around here used to full of but none more

9. dcastle

dcastle New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I wonder if the 12 inch bullheads are too big? I catch them in small creeks and slews. I usually find them in backwater that has a lot of trees and moss. The type of place where you lose a hook every two or three casts. They seem to hang around the shallow areas. I aways use chicken liver.

10. kmcalester

kmcalester New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Hey I wanna hang with you guys next time someong goes get bait, to use on the missouri river.

11. Michael Jake

Michael Jake New Member

State:
    Troy, Missouri
    Good to see ya on here Dale… like the previous posts said, don’t be shy about using large bait… My grandfather would use pound to pound and a half bullheads when running lines… I remember many flatheads in the 70 lb range he would catch… just use a 10/0 or better hook size for that size bait.