Bullhead catfish for bait

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by toolmaan, Mar 17, 2009.

1. toolmaan

toolmaan New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Been seeing a few threads about bullheads for bait. I believe I have caught several of these over the years. Dirty flat face with a back fin that has some serious kickback? Is that what everyone is referring to as a bullhead? How big of bullheads do you use as bait? Heading out to the lake tomorrow and I'll try and catch a few bullheads.

Jeremy

2. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    I normally use them in the range of 5 inches and up. To me I have not seen a difference in size of the bait to the size of the catch using them.

3. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    Bull heads, mud cats they are those little brown catfish that we catch in farm ponds. They will fin you good. Most I use are between 6"to12". They are great flathead bait. I use them in the winter if I can find the flats stacked up, and in the spring along rocky ledges. Hook them behind the top fin in the spring and float them off the bottom. In the winter I hook them thru the lips in a 3/4 oz short shank jig. Just drop it straight down on the flathead and bounce it up and down slowly. The bite will be slow, I guess it finally makes one of them mad.

4. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    wish i would of known this earlier, i know of a great place to catch them. Thanks Brent

5. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    well, thats what the B.O.C. is for !! :big_smile:

6. BowieKnife357

BowieKnife357 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    If you're using live bullheads for bait, you may want to consider cutting the sharp spines off before pitching it in the water. I've always felt that it helps me, anyway.

7. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    Welcome to the BOC Stuart.

I have used them both ways, I didn't keep track which way worked best. I will be after flatheads more this year so I will try both ways.

8. toolmaan

toolmaan New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Just today we have caught 7 or 8 bullheads. Any ideas for keeping these alive for a few days? I did put one on a limb line a few days ago but didn't catch anything.

9. leadsinker

leadsinker Member

State:
    Wichita, K
    Welcome to the BOC Stuart

10. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    i use them for flatheads but as everyone that was at the gathering at tuttle u can catch a ocasianol blue with them
    well as far as size i dont know i use them all

11. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

imo bullheads work better when the water is at its hottest makeing flatheads agressive for what ever reason.i will run them as big as i can get them rod and reel inl july. they keep alive for weeks with min. care clean water and air.feed them very small minnows and there good to go

12. varmint_sniper

varmint_sniper New Member

State:
    OHIO
    i use them from 3 in up to 15 inch and they have all worked for me flattie love bullheads

13. kcgeoff

kcgeoff New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I've caught a lot of flatheads off bullheads and even a few blues as well. I love using them in the summer because they are much easier to keep alive and they fight on the hook forever! Awesome bait!!

14. BowieKnife357

BowieKnife357 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Thanks for the welcome yall! Without getting too long winded, this is my basic way of thinking when it comes to spine removal, so take it for what it's worth cuz I may be waaay off. The spines are a natural defense for the bullhead, in place to help deter a predator. Now I know that flatheads aren't extremely sensitive mouthed creatures, but I still think that if the spines are removed, there is less resistance for the flathead when it mouths the bait, and it will be more apt to hit the bait harder, thus making for a better hookset, especially if you are using a circle hook.

15. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    Many folks do remove the spines from bullheads and the pinchers from
    crawdads but I'm not sure they get much advantage from it. Flatheads
    don't seem to mind the defences of their prey when they are hungry.
    I have heard some speculation that shad and small carp are better
    since they are soft rayed fish but the spiney finned bluegill seem to
    be just as popular with the big flats. It's just what they are used to.
    On the other hand, the vivisected bullhead would swim like he was
    wounded and flatheads do seem to know when they are vulnerable.
    I have been known to trim fins on bluegill to make them swim funny.
    All things considered, it couldn't hurt your chances to hook up, Stuart!

16. unclebuncle

unclebuncle New Member

State:
    Humboldt,K
    I've used bullheads for years and IMO the flathead doesn't care.I've had them hit but not take the bait and when I checked later the bull head was mush.Guarantee you when flathead catches a wild one he doesnt take it somewhere to clip the fins.

17. ks catman

ks catman New Member

State:
    kansas
    I've tried bullhead several times and never caught a fish maybe i just tried them at the wrong time but ive always had great luck with bluegill and creek chub but im for sure gonna give em another try thow

18. sooner1

sooner1 New Member

State:
    kansas
    Ive caught and tried bullheads many times with bad results. Are they really that good, compared to bluegills, chub, ect?

19. unclebuncle

unclebuncle New Member

State:
    Humboldt,K
    I've always felt that they were if for no other reason than they are indestructible.About the only thing that can kill a bullhead is a flathead.Another good bait is a madtom but that could land you in jail now.

20. kcgeoff

kcgeoff New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I consider bullheads to be as good of a live bait as anything for flats. I've fished Bullheads right beside green sunfish and bluegils. Caught flatheads on all 3 with most coming on the bullheads and green sunfish. Bullheads are easy to keep alive and fight like crazy on a hook. I've had nights where I've caught 4-5 flatheads when only fishing with bullheads.