Bullhead catfish for bait or dinner?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by catfishrollo, Mar 19, 2007.

1. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i have used bullheads for flattie baits...really good around spawn. but has anyone ever ate one? how are they?

2. Jammer

Jammer New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    When I was a kid, I ate everything I caught. Bullheads, Carp, Shiners and Chubs. Our little creek didn't have much in it. I don't recall any special taste, but I think I would just use them for bait now.

3. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    Bulheads are great on the dinner table,some of the best eatting of all cats. Catch a few nice ones skin and fry whole.

4. Redd

Redd New Member

State:
    Southeast Kansas
    Back when I'd go campin' with the guys...if all we caught was bullhead, then that was the fish we ate. Personally, I thought it was kinda tastey. But, everyone has different opinions. So, if you like fish nuggets, then there ya go.

-Red

5. gcarlin

gcarlin New Member

State:
    Richmond ,Indiana
    NEVER ATE ONE BUT BOY DO THEY MAKE GOOD BAIT.LOL

WELCOME TO THE BOC BROTHER

6. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Both!! It just depends on how hungery you are.

7. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    I've eating bullheads for years. If there taken care of properly from the time you catch them til they hit the frying pan, they are great. I live in the Great Lakes State of Michigan, and my wife will eat Bullheads any day before she will eat Salmon.
    If you catch your Bullies from good water and clean them properly they make great table fare. If you soak them in a little cream or milk with some garlic salt and onions over night, it's makes for some great dinning.
    Sparky

8. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    By the way, I've never used them for bait before, but I'm going to give them a try this year for flatties.
    Sparky

9. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I would use them for both.

10. Jay Jay

Jay Jay New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    Bullheads are great eating , like anything else you have to take care of your catch, and know the waters they come from . Some of the taverns have special nights when they do deep fried bullheads as a special promotion , All kinds of fish are served up around here, being close to the great lakes and the 1000's of fresh water lakes exposes us to alot of different fish. Ever been to a eel pout fish boil ? Or a sheap head fish fry (fresh water drum) smoked carp is as good as smoked salmon,lake sturgeon is also great , but nothing beats fresh deep fried flathead !

11. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    I prefer them for dinner.

12. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I like them raw! The only thing I do is clip their spines with my teeth then swallow them whole. They wiggle around just a might in your stomach, but that just makes me feel more hungry. As for me ( of course the previous statement was a quote from a flathead) after hearing said flatlhead's remark, covet them for bait.:big_smile: