Bullhead catfish/Bream trap

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by bgoodman498, Mar 27, 2007.

1. bgoodman498

bgoodman498 New Member

State:
    MISSOURI
    DOES ANYBODY HAVE ANY GOOD PLANS ON BUILDING BULLHEAD/BREAM TRAPS?

2. TomV

TomV New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Missouri

3. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Tom, thanks for prividing the link for him. I may have gotten your name wrong in the reps, sorry about that. Tons of great info in our library. Thanks for spreading the word!

4. DWB

DWB Member

State:
    Missouri
    Can we use bullheads as bait in Missouri?

Regardless, I've got to build one of these to catch brim for trot lines this summer. Where is a good place to set them, how long do you like to leave them down and what do you like to use for the bait?

Lastly what about plans for a crawfish trap?

5. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I have just finished 3 traps with 1 more to go. FYI, the corner pieces work best at 8" and the "V" worked for me at 6". You probably could take the "V" out to 7 or 7 1/2 inches. I think mine will hold fish. I have made two out of 1/4 inch mesh and two at 1/2 inch mesh. What's the difference??? If the wardens tell me the 1/2 inch mesh is a fish trap, I'll replace them with the 1/4 inch which is for minnows. LOL. All I gotta do is get a break on the first one, then I'm set.

I am also working on a 42" X 24" eclipse shape holding tank. I'll hopefully be able to put the fish from the traps in that tank. Figure the shad can swim around in circles in that until they get tired. LOL

6. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    Dan, I built myself one of those traps last year, and believe me it's the ticket! Farm ponds are the best for setting your trap. For one, you don't have much of a chance of somebody making off with it and also, you usually have a pretty high concentration of bream around the edges of ponds & this trap will catch 'em for sure. Get a can of dog food and punch holes all in the can. Put the can in the bait hole in the middle of the trap and just pitch it in. It'll work. As far as how long to leave the trap out, I usually only leave mine out for a few hours to catch a couple dozen bream. The pond I set my trap in has quite a few cats and the bream will actually use my trap as a sanctuary at times as well. In other words, if I leave the trap in the water for a day or two unbaited, there will be bream in it when I check it. Be careful if you leave it out for a while close to the bank though, I had a big ol' snake in it once last summer.:angry:

7. TomV

TomV New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Missouri
    No problem Bryan, and glad to do it.

Yes, bullheads are a nongame fish and can be used as bait.

8. TomV

TomV New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Missouri
  9. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Bullheads are a non-game fish and can be used as bait. If taken by any method other than pole and line, they must be 5" or less in length. If taken by pole and line, they can be any size. The same rules apply to bluegill and green sunfish.

Your trap must have an opening no larger than 1.5" in any direction, must be labeled with your name and address and must be attended at least once every 24 hours.

One other note - you're likely to catch a lot of "perch like" fish other than bluegill and green sunfish in your trap. Most of them are *not* legal for use as bait in Missouri - those include fish such as goggle eye, redeye, warmouth bass. If you're not sure what it is, release it.

See 3 CSR 10-6.605:
    http://www.sos.mo.gov/adrules/csr/current/3csr/3c10-6.pdf

"Game Fish" is defined in Chapter 20: http://www.sos.mo.gov/adrules/csr/current/3csr/3c10-20.pdf