Bullhead catfish as bait

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by vegasryder, Jun 20, 2006.

1. vegasryder

vegasryder New Member

State:
    illinois
    Anyone ever use bullheads as baits?Size and where do you hook them?What rig setup do you use?I`m thinking of trying them since the bluegills tend to live for only a short amount of time...

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

a lot of the guys talk about it but I really can't help you I have never used bullheads for bait you may try doing a search and checking the library if noone responds which isn't very likely because these guys are great with helping when they can.

3. 40 Pound Club

40 Pound Club New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I try to use anywhere from 5 inches on up to ten inches. The small ones I hook near the back and the large ones I hook through the bottom lip. Hope that helps

4. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Grand River Valley, Weste
    I tried my first bullhead a few weks ago, and I'm a believer.
    We caught fish on 'gills & suckers, but the biggest of the night (22lbs8oz) ate a 10" bullhead.
    Circle hook 'em between the dorsal fin and the tail and they'll pull & pull & pull...

5. vegasryder

vegasryder New Member

State:
    illinois
    I`m gonna go try the bullhead in a couple of days...i just made a dipbait concoction today and i`m going to the lake tonight to see if it works...Thanks for the response guys and i`ll be sure to post my results...

6. rat fink

rat fink New Member

State:
    illinois
    i hook them just in front of the dorsal fin and i snip there spines off it makes them ezer to swallow and releses more sent

7. da-cajun-angla

da-cajun-angla New Member

State:
    louisiana
    Cut The Spines Of And Scuff Up His Skin A Lil Bit To Get Him Bleedin. U Can Do This With A Stick Or Twig. It Doesnt Take Much. The Next Time U Catch A "bring-home-er" Scuff His Skin Up A Lil To See How Easily It Starts To Slightly Bleed And Turn Red. It Wont Bleed Immediately, But Will Happen. It Wont Kill Him And Will Put The "distressed Fish" Signal Out To The Predatory Cat.

8. Tellico00

Tellico00 New Member

State:
    Collierville, T
    I have also used bukkheads but I cut the spines off the sides as well the dorsal. I use a wide gap circle and let'em go

9. vegasryder

vegasryder New Member

State:
    illinois
    I`m going out again tonight.I`ll try to catch some bluegills and bullheads to compare which one will out do the other.Thanks for the response guys and i`ll post up tomorrow for the results.BTW,got skunked again last night with my dip bait and bluegills.:angry:

10. shortshank

shortshank New Member

State:
    Oregon
    I don't use them as often as I do gills or cut bait but I have caught several Big fish with them. I like 6-12 inch and I hook them just like I hook my gills...right in front or right behind the dorsal fin and not to deep. I know a lot of the guys cut the tail to make them bleed but I just leave them as they are. I don't think I ever had one die when hooked as described. They just keep on fishing until somebody bigger comes calling. Excellent bank pole or throw line bait as well.
    Don