Bullhead catfish as bait question!

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by CNTRYBOY, May 16, 2007.

1. CNTRYBOY

CNTRYBOY New Member

State:
    Benton, Ar
    How do you folks hook your bullhead on the hook? What size of bullhead is the ideal size to use?

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

A couple ways of hooking them come to mind like through the lips and through the top behind the top fin. Some like to trim the tail and fins just enough to bled the bullhead real slow and add that injuried prey easy meal look. Good luck.

3. Pylodictis Olivaris

Pylodictis Olivaris New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I personally hook them through the tail....I don't think it will make a whole lot of difference either way but that is the way I prefer. It seems like a I get a little more action from the fish that way. I will use anywhere from 3" to 8" I know you can use bigger but I usually stick to this size. If you get to much bigger you will spend half the night trying to figure out if you have a fish giving you a little tap or if your bait is acting up.

4. KanHeadhunter

KanHeadhunter New Member

State:
    S. E. K.
    I like to use them 3-10 inches long, I hook them through the tail. I also break the hard fins on the side of the bullhead. I don't cut them off I just break them so they will not lock in place!! Just use pliers and break them right where they come out of the body of the bullhead. The bullhead can still use the fin to swim he just cannot lock it in place.

5. CNTRYBOY

CNTRYBOY New Member

State:
    Benton, Ar
    Thanks guys! Am gonna catch some in the creek around the house along with some brim for bait!

6. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    if i go through the tail i trim it first, but not to the meat. i like lip hooking baits best for flatheads though.

7. catter5000

catter5000 New Member

State:
    TULSA,OK
    I like to hook live bait through the lip if I am drift fishing or fishing in current.If I'm bottom fishing or bobber fishing I like to hook them through the tail or just behind the top fin. allen

8. drews0311

drews0311 New Member

State:
    iowa
    this is what i think works the best

i used to nail big flatheads in the racoon river back home in iow using bullheads. if you want to catch the big ones heres how you do it.

first off the bigger the bull head the bigger the cat thats my oppinion. i take a three way swivel put about a foot of line off of each end one is for your sinker and the other for you live bait hook. i prefer to hook the bull head right behind the dorsal fin. i have tried cutting/ wounding the bull head but i think leaving it strong and healthy works best.

here is what i think happends, that big cat comes up and tries to eat the bull head and gets shanked about ten times. the cat gets pissed and swallows the whole thing. this means big hit with gaurenteed hook.