Bullhead catfish as bait for Flathead Catfish?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by Hookman, May 6, 2006.

1. Hookman

Hookman New Member

State:
    dELYRIAs ohio
    how do you hook a bullhead for flats or blues....hookman....

2. pescador

pescador New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i thought you were the hookman lol . . . depends on how big of a bullhead u are using but if it is a smaller one i would hook it under the dorsal fin or threw the eyes

3. cathunter28

cathunter28 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    i hook all my bait in the uper lip but that is me have had good luck with it

4. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I like to hook mine about an inch infront of the tail by the adipose fin, I hooked one like this before and he lasted 3 weeks in and out of the bait bucket a bunch of times, I just left the hook in.

Aaron

TA2D

5. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    I just hook them in the roof of their mouth and out through the top. Can cast em as hard as you want and still won't come off. Keeps em lively all night too.

6. BigCatSteve

BigCatSteve New Member

State:
    Huber Heights,Ohio
    i hook my bullheads through the bottom lip all the way through the top of his head its tough to go through and tough to get off the hook

7. cathunter28

cathunter28 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    but as for useing bullhead for bait, i would use one over a sunfish anytime. i have had bullhead and sunfish on and had more luck with the bullhead.i have had bullhead stay a live in my bait tank a long time.

8. outdoorhick20

outdoorhick20 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    what's a good size of bullhead to use for 10 to 15 pound flatheads? i catch alot of bullheads about 8 or 11 inches long but i normally cut them up and use smaller pieces. i catch alot of channels that way but i'd like to use live ones for flatheads.

9. cathunter28

cathunter28 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    for the size of fish you are wanting anythang below the 8 is fine but the bigger the bait the bigger the fish. i wouldent cut them up for flats. work alot better when still in one peace. good luck

10. outdoorhick20

outdoorhick20 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    thanks for the reply. i'm not limiting myself to 10-15 pounders it's just that about the size i catch out of arbuckle lake in oklahoma. i fish a hole about ten feet deep and full of logs in a creek channel but hardly catch anything but channels. last weekend i caught a 25 pound blue but not a single flathead yet this year.

11. outdoorhick20

outdoorhick20 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    thanks for the input. i'll give it a try.

12. liveforcattin08

liveforcattin08 New Member

State:
    ohio
    is is just me or is it very hard to find bullheads, i can hardly ever catch any for bait

13. cathunter28

cathunter28 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    oklahoma has reley nice flat use to live their in minco but ya nice flats. i have a lot of bullhead ponds around where i live. bullhead will spreed fast and some pond owners will have thier pond drain to get rid of them. give me your address and i will mail you some:lol:

14. liveforcattin08

liveforcattin08 New Member

State:
    ohio
    hey now im all for that but i dont think that would go over with the post office to good.

15. poopdeck [patrick]

poopdeck [patrick] New Member

State:
    ofallon il
    Rockhound gave you some good advice. Heres how I do it
    I fish the mississippi. The holes I fish are close to shore. I will fish the holes on cloudy are rainy days. In late evening , night and a couple hours after dawn I fish betwwen the bank and the holes, closer to the bank than the hole

16. Aftercats

Aftercats New Member

State:
    Tennesse
    When I was using Bullhead for Striper we were using a long shanked hook that had a flat sharp point on it. you would run it up from the top of the head under the skin only and come out down the tail with that tip. then you hook a clip to it and that to the line. This worked great for Striper I don't see why it would not work for Catfish.

Daryl

17. ohiohawghunter45067

ohiohawghunter45067 New Member

State:
    Trenton, Ohio
    i first remove the horns then i hook through the back of tail

18. chubbahead

chubbahead Member

State:
    Ohio

When you find them though, you will be set. Back when I used to catch them, we could get 20 in about tw hours. Just use a split shot and a redworm. Fish muddy areas, pools, not much current at all that are 3 to 6 feet deep.

I used to catch a bunch at Taylorsville dam. When you walk to the end of the dam, go down the steep rock bank. They used to hang out there all the time. If you walk through the woods, you'll find some ponds back there. I haven't fished them but I bet they would be loaded with bullheads and stunted carp. I'm not really sure though, haven't tried yet.

19. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    i have never tried them but from what ive heard they manke excellent bait for flatheads.

20. cathunter28

cathunter28 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    i hook them just like i would a chub or a sunny thruogh the uper lip with point up. i only go through the uper lip because it i go through both it will restrict there breathingand thay dont last long and you go through the top with point up it will give better hook place ment.