Bullhead Catfish: Are they a waste of time or not?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by channelcat_tracker, May 27, 2006.

1. channelcat_tracker

channelcat_tracker New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Do you guys think that catching bullheads are a waste of time? I personally, think that they are fun to catch and i could catch them all day. well i was fishing for small stripers to stock a pond (got paid a quarter a fish and i ended up with 12 bucks) well anyways, i hooked what i thought was a decent crappie though it wasnt but a 1 pound yellow bullhead. well it fought very hard considering i was using a 2 ounce ultralite spinning real and a 5 foot spincast rod. well i ended up with 2 bullheads and i got em in the stocked pond. well i wonder, would you guys like to catch bullheads all day? i dont think its a waste of time. but others think different. also im going to malone lake in dewitt iowa to catch about 3 dozen 2 to 3 inch bullheads to go all night catfishing tomorow for a record flathead (record for pauls and r&r) no state record but i hope i might get him! go ahead and give your comments

2. Cat King

Cat King New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Bullheads are very fun to catch. Were I live in Hardy,Ky there are alot of Bullhead catfish. They make your day, especally when the big cats aren't bitten.

3. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    I like catching bullheads too. I don't target them as much as when I lived in Florida, but they can be fun to catch. When I lived in Florida, the local ponds were full of bullheads, and it took no time to catch a few, take home clean, and eat 'em. Now, that was good eating.

4. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I don't have many places to catch them but anytime I can use them,I use them for flathead bait.

5. malaki

malaki New Member

State:
    Redmon Illinois
    hook swallowing, bait theivin S.O.B.'s:choler: 1/2 my liver goes to feeding them.lol

6. OsageCountyCatman

OsageCountyCatman New Member

State:
    Osage City, KS
    Nastiest injury I ever got was being bitten by a bullhead I was removing from a trotline. Damn thing bit down on my thumb and scrape the skin right off.

It was the biggest bullhead I ever caught, about #3.

7. Pillpeddler

Pillpeddler New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Hey! Bullheads are Gods creatures too! Treatem right... some corn meal, salt-pepper and real hot oil.:lol: If out of fairly clean water they're real nice.

8. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    i like catching any kind of fish and those bullheads are pretty fun to catch too. ive been clamped down on by a few and they got a hard bite LOL
    no wonder they are good at stealing bait they nip the bait off the hook and your reeling an empty line in :crazy:

9. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    I have to be honest, I can't stand Bullheads or White Catfish. I'd rather catch bream and stuff like that if I'm fishing in a pond or something, they are the types of cats that will poke you the worst, it's hard to get your hands around them. They steal a lot of my bait, well actually it's more like they peck it to where a big fish doesn't want it anymore.

To each thier own, if you do catch them...please keep them, there's a ton of them around here....lol

10. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I wouldn't mind catching some small bullheads (5" or less). I'll gladly use them for bait. I can't remember what the legal length limit is for bait use in Missouri, but it's either 5" or 12".

11. delawareriver

delawareriver Member

State:
    bath pa
    a local pind that no one fishs besides me has some huge bull heads in it. ive been with in a few onces of the state recored so im gonna try to brake it this year because i know ill never brake any of the other catfish records

12. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    When I was a kid I use to catch a lot of them, they were good eatin. About a month ago I caught a 3 lb one, if I had caught two they would have been supper for the wife and I. The guy that lets me fish this pond said the next Illinois state record is going to come out of it. I hope so and I hope I get to catch it, but if he does that is fine too.

13. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I think the little 8-10 in,(rarely larger) Bullheads out of the black water ponds,creeks and rivers of the southeastern USA are the best eating fish in the world,that I have tasted.I love to eat all kinds of fish,but they are the best to me.They are highly prized by many down here.ZAKK!The way to hold them is from the belly with your first two fingers behind their spines.One on each side.Insert your thumb in it;s mouth.Squeeze,which will force it,s mouth wide open for you to get the hook out.After a few tries,it will get easy to hold any small catfish this way.With larger cats,the two fingers go in the gills from the bottom with the thumb in the mouth.The fingers and thumbs are used like boating a Bass when you are catching them for bait.It keeps you from getting finned.peewee-williams

14. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    When I was growing up in Ohio, my uncle used to take me to a spot every Sunday and we would catch Bullhead by the bucket full. We'd freez some and save em for a winter fish fry along with crappie. Good eating!

15. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    They are great flathead bait.

16. Larry

Larry New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I only catch them for Flat head bait. 4-6 inchers work great and they are tough as Nails.
    thanks
    Larry

17. AllenM

AllenM Guest

Well, word has it that the only two kinds of catfish in the lakes around here are channel and bullhead (dunno if they are yellow, brown, or both, but I assume that's what everyone's talking about when they call them "mud cats"), but I enjoy catching just about anything but carp, and when nothing else is biting I'll even be glad of a carp to be completely honest! I just love having something take my dang hook and pull hard enough to make me wonder what I got while I'm fighting it in! Some of those 2 or 3 pound bullheads put up a real nice little fight! Since I don't eat nothing out of these waters, it's all catch and release for me (except what I use for cut bait), so those bullheads are just another fun catch.

As for getting finned, pee-wee has the right idea there. I always grab the smaller cats that way, but you gotta be careful throwing them back cause them fins are like hacksaw blades. I've had a number of them scratch me on the outside of the index finger or the middle finger trying to put em back in the water!

18. ohiohawghunter45067

ohiohawghunter45067 New Member

State:
    Trenton, Ohio
    grandfather love eating them bull heads can remeber as a child catching them for him. if he only knew i used them strictly for bait now he wouldnt be to happy

19. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    have To Agree With Peewee To Me They Have The Best Flavor Of The Catfish Family. Don't Hear Much About Them Anymore. Good To See A Post On Them. Never Used Them For Bait Always Ate Them Instead.tryem You Might Like Em.

20. channelcat_tracker

channelcat_tracker New Member

State:
    Iowa
    preferably bullheads are catfish so why should we leave them out of the family? i say, LETS GO GET SOME BULLHEADS AND GO FISH!:lol: