Bullhead bait help

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by BKS72, Jul 11, 2007.

1. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    I need to catch some bullheads for bait for this weekend. There's a small lake by the house that's full of them, but the bite's pretty slow on worms. Am I better off using livers or stinkbait? I usually just have worms with me since I can catch bluegill on them as well, but I'd really like to have a dozen or so bullheads. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Branden

2. primitivefrn

primitivefrn Member

State:
    collins mo
    Branden, The best bait I've found, is Butterworms & night crawlers, Butter worms you have to order in. might try chummin, with fish food or cat food, chopped up livers. seems like their slow to start, but once they a start biting they keep comeing, have to let them work bait just a little longer than perch.
    my best was, 105 on 12 nightcrawlers, somebody had threw somecatfish remains in a branch that fed Truman lake. I use a # 10 kahle, I like a float but want bait on or real close to bottom. hope this helps.
    Jim

3. FourWinds

FourWinds New Member

State:
    Lawton, Oklahoma
    Hi Brandon,

When I was a kid, me & my Grandad would go out to farm ponds around here and catch bullheads with worms, grubs and grasshoppers. Unfortunately they're not as common nowadays as they were back then. Nobody I've asked has been able to tell me about anywhere around here that has bullheads... I'd sure like to find some.

Dave

4. primitivefrn

primitivefrn Member

State:
    collins mo
    Branden minnows work good at times, th largest ive caught have come from minnows. what was funny thats all they would bite. in that sloue. fished it acouple times. some over a pound, and also, they bite better when or where the sun dont, shine, cloudy day, early morn. late at night. under a bridge.
    Jim

5. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Thanks for the info, guys. I think if I hit it about sundown and fish it for a couple of hours I should be OK. Sounds like I'll stick to worms. Appreciate the help!

Branden

6. drews0311

drews0311 New Member

State:
    iowa
    back home in iowa i used to nail them by the hundreds all summer long. it didnt matter what time of day but you just have to find that honey hole by a log or somthing.

any way my point is, i never had any luck with anything other than worms...

good luck bro, i know how it is when you need bait but there not biting

7. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    cut carp is the best bait i have found for bullheads...might try some frogs with their belly split open

8. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    i have a small mountain stream where i get my bullheads and lately i had good luch useing small pieces of wennies.to lazy to dig for worms.

9. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    I always use nightcrawlers after dark. Everything else in the river eats them, but as oon as the sun goes down bullheads start hitting. Also get the occasional carp or sucker,ie cut bait.

10. rocko

rocko New Member

State:
    missouri
    try using pre-cooked clam strips if you can find them they usually come in a vaccum sealed bag and they are as tough as pork trailers for bass fishing. hope this helps.