Bullfrog

Discussion in 'ALL OTHER FISH' started by Water Wolf, May 1, 2008.

1. Water Wolf

Water Wolf New Member

State:
    Colorado
    Hey,
    One of the lakes that I frequent has tons of giant bullfrogs hopping around after dark. If I was to catch, spear, net, or whatever can I eat the legs. I am just curious about it. I have heard of frogs legs and a friend emailed me a recipe, but I am unsure if it's something I want to try. They are considered game in Colorado with a bag and possesion limit of "unlimited."
    The last time we went we played with several of them and that had me thinking. Anyone ever try them and are bullfrogs even edible? Thanks.

2. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    they are good to eat
    last year my son caught about five of them with the net at a sand pit we fish and a friend of mine cooked them up let me tell you they where very good

3. gottagetabigun

gottagetabigun New Member

State:
    OKLAHOMA
    they are extemely delicious. hadn't had a mess in years. they have very pretty white meat. salt, pepper, a good roll in yellow cornmeal and drop in a deep fryer at 360 degrees. the best way to "catch" them is at night with a light and a gig. shine a light in their eyes and gig them. check your regs and make sure you can do this at night. try them you won't regret it. take a gunny sack to put them in after you gig them.

4. shadmaster

shadmaster New Member

State:
    OK
    probably the best thing you'll ever eat. Easy to prepare. Skin them, coat with flour and brown them in a frying pan. Cook just like fried chicken. If you can find them in stores (farm raised) they are very expensive and you'll know why when you eat some.

5. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    If you need any help getting them,I might try to make a trip. They are some fine eatin.

6. wareagle

wareagle New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    If they are good size frogs you can eat the back too not just the legs.

7. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    "....tons of giant bullfrogs hopping around after dark......"

??? Jim, you sure these are bullfrogs and not some other type of frog? or toad? I've never been to Colorado, don't know the wildlife there, but bullfrogs in KY don't typically go hopping around after dark. But yes, frog legs are delicious.

8. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    YOU CAN ALSO GET THEM WITH A PELLET GUN OR .22 WITH A SPOT LIGHT. JUST SHINE THE SPOT LIGHT AROUND UNTIL YOU SEE THEIR EYES AND POP EM ON GOOD TIME. THATS HOW WE USED TO DO IT. THEY ARE REALLY GOOD TO EAT.

9. 45CATFISH

45CATFISH New Member

State:
    HENDERSON,LOUISIANA
    THEY ARE VERY GOOD EATING.IF YOU FRY THEM RIGHT AFTER CLEANING THEM THEY WILL JUMP WHEN PUT IN THE POT.

10. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    You better believe you can eat the legs usually when we catch them we skin them and take the skin off, and we will keep the legs and part of the back strip on the frog and cook them there good eating.

11. BACKWOODSBOY350

BACKWOODSBOY350 New Member

State:
    COLORADO
    I GO GIGGIN ALOT AND THEY ARE REALLY GOOD EATIN IF YOU WOULDN'T MIND SHARIN THE SPOT I WOULD LOVE TO COME GIGIN THERE I CANT FIND MANY FROGS AROUND HERE

12. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i haven't seen many bullfrogs hoppin around after dark, usually they will sit near cover in an ambush position. we walk the thickest parts of the cattails and throw texas rigged power worms at them. they will eat anything they can get in their mouths. cut the tendon on the back of the leg after you skin them and they won't splash you with hot grease when you fry them.

13. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    what do ya think frog legs in stores and restraunts come off of ?

bullfrogs. FARM RAISED mostly. but ya. them legs would be great. frozen shipped and stored legs aint near as good as fresh. i cut off head skin and gut and clean with water. cut down the spine. 1/2 the whole carcuss. the front legs and back are same meat. just aint much of it but to me worth picking at a bit.:wink: