Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

Bullets

4K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  CountryHart 
#1 ·
Just got a .270 win, and want to start reloading. Any suggestions on what bullets are good for deer and coyote (obviously not the same bullets)? Any suggestions on reloading itself?

Thanks!

#2 ·
I cant give you any personal favorites here, But for a hunting type bullet ,go with a well constructed ,slow expanding bullet, weights ,I would suggest something in the 120-150 gr range . for varmint shooting, any quicly expanding bullet will work like Ballistic tips,TNT etc, unless you are saving fur, then its a matter of experimenting till ya find what works for you.

#3 ·
my father in law and i reload a few diffrent rounds , what powder are you using ? for the 270 i use hodgdon varget rifle powder and some 165 grain fmj rounds that was on sale look ate your gun shop for deals alota the times if the box was opened they sell it for way less it mite be missing 1 or two but a heck of a deal any way just use your mic to check for any odd ball sizes that could make it in there , its an expencive hobby we use lee press and dies , i got a few diffrent reloading /data books if you get stumped on some thing holler here is a helpful link for you also Cartridge Loads - Hodgdon Reloading Data Center - data.hodgdon.com

also remeber to check your used brass real good for cracks or damage , the varget powder is pretty wicked stuff and the lee dipper set is only so close to proper weight so a small scale might help you get the most outa your round and still be under the max. load to safely fire , the dipper set is to inconsistent for me . if you start splitting cases then there loaded to hot or been reloaded to many times gl and be safe

#5 ·
For deer, I like to load Hornady InterLock in a .270. Not much into varmit hunting, but I have seen what a Hornady V-Max bullet will do to a groundhog fired from a .270.....Yeah, I'm partial to Hornady bullets. The buck in my avitar is proof of the hornady. The only way he could have hit the ground quicker is if his legs were shorter.... I have a few pet loads, but for safety reasons, I don't share them.

#8 ·
Has anyone reloaded Remington bullets? I've bought the Core-Lokt ammo, and seemed to like it. I can't find any reload data on them though, any know where?
I reloaded 175 Rem Core-Lokt years ago,(7mm Rem Mag) they are pretty good bullets for the money,,They aren't quite as tough as a Nosler partition,, but, for most of my needs they're good..

and, in a .270 my son used for elk, we used store bought Remington ammo with the 150 core-lokt round nose bullets, and they worked well.

I just used reloading data out of the manuals for the 175 grain weight, and worked up some nice loads..

#9 ·
this was my first year reloading to and im trying 2 differant bullets.my first choice is the 115 grain balistic tip.i killed 2 deer,a buck and a doe,and both were shot right behind the front shoulder and both ht the ground where they stood.easy trailing.the other bullet is a 120 grain nozzeler but i havent tried it on meat yet.im shooting a 25-06

#10 ·
With enough experimentation, you will find that your gun will group a particular bullet/powder combo better than the others. All of the major bullet manufacturers produce bullets suitable for your purposes. You just need to try a few to see what your gun prefers.

Many of my guns shoot Sierra GameKings quite well and they get the job done. Noslers (both partition and ballistic tip), Barnes X, Speer, Hornady, and many others also give good terminal performance.

However, for big, slow moving projectiles, I have not found anything that even comes close to the performance of a Hornady. I have recovered the fired bullets from several different test media and have never been disappointed. Dozens of deer will agree. My 45-70s, 375 Win, 44 mag get fed a regular diet of Hornady bullets.

#12 ·
I really like the 130gr. Nosler Ballistic tips out of my Savage 111 .270, they seem to be the flattest and fastest shooting bullet weight that still has good weight retention and knock down power, 130 BT's will do you just fine on all deer and coyotes. You do understand that if you load 2 different bullet weights/loads your scope will be off on one of the loads right? That's why I just stick to one bullet/load. I shot a big doe a couple yrs ago with that bullet broadside at about 200 yds and the exit wound was about the size of a silver dollar, those noslers are NASTY!

#13 ·
I love the Winchester ballistic tip, took down a lot deer with them. And those deer didn't take a single step after that bullet them. A couple of those were over 400 yards with a 30-06, I'd confidently say I could hit a beer can at a 1/4 mile with that gun and those bullets.

I'm also a huge fan of Hornaday, their LEVERevolution and Custom series are hard to beat. Love'em in my 45-70 and my .243.

#14 ·
For deer, I like to load Hornady InterLock in a .270. Not much into varmit hunting, but I have seen what a Hornady V-Max bullet will do to a groundhog fired from a .270.....Yeah, I'm partial to Hornady bullets. The buck in my avitar is proof of the hornady. The only way he could have hit the ground quicker is if his legs were shorter.... I have a few pet loads, but for safety reasons, I don't share them.
I've shot boattail hornady for years. My 270 likes 52.7 gr. of IMR the best. Hand loads is ALL i will shoot. Experiment till ya find out what shoots best. personally i prefer 140 gr. bullets for deer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.