Bullet weight

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Chris, Nov 21, 2005.

1. Chris

Chris New Member

State:
    Spring Hill, Kansas
    I have seen a lot of different grains of bullets how do you select your type of bullets. Does the selection of bullet depend on the type of grounds your hunting, open range, woods etc...

thanks
    chris

2. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Chris, the selection of a bullet weight is determined to some degree by the terrain being hunted, but the size and species of game being hunted is probably the primary factor (a white-tailed deer doesn't require as heavy a bullet as, say, a moose). Bullet design is also a factor; if your hunting will be at long ranges, you would want an aerodynamic projectile to reduce drag and bullet drop, where if you hunt in brush or short range conditions, the design is not so important.
    Bullet weight also has some impact on recoil. A 220 gr 30.06 bullet will generally have a little more recoil than a 150 gr bullet in the same caliber, although most shooters aren't concerned by this.
    There is a lot of detailed information that could be discussed, but I've tried to just throw out the basics. One factor that many hunters may not consider is that one should always try different brands, designs, and weights of ammo in a gun to determine the most accurate load for an individual rifle. In my opinion, accuracy is far more important that having the 'baddest' bullet.

3. hookeye

hookeye New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    BWK, is right on track,
    It is very important to find the cartridge your particular rifle likes, as they do not all shoot the same. Branded or mass manufactured loads all vary so it is just plain smart to experiment rather than to settle. If you can't hit what your aiming at then it doesn't matter what your shooting. Bullet weight selection is most critical in the area of the type game it will be used for, some manufactures are now putting the game species that a particular load is intended for right on the box, as well as penetration and expansion info.

4. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    For the past few years Ive been using either 150 or 180 grain bullets in the remington corelokt. Has worked great for me. Never noticed a big difference between them. This is about the cheapest shells out there. Id suggest just buying a couple boxes of shells of whatever looks good and see which shoots best. In a 06 I think youll be fine using either weight.

5. Bayoubear

Bayoubear New Member

State:
    near that hellhole dallas
    so true so true.

my "new rifle" routine that i go thru may be of help to you in finding what your particular rifle likes. for a hunting rifle id do this on a chilly day for a couple reasons. 1. dont have to wait near as long for the barrel to cool down between shots and 2. youll most likely be wearing a jacket or coat while doing this just as you would hunting in winter. (rifle placement will be same on your shoulder)

when i get a new hunting rifle ill get several boxes of ammo from opposite ends of the range. for example an '06, a box of 150 or 165 and the 200. im partial to the core lokt soft points or boat tails. get ammo from different makers too.
    my personal fav commercial ammo is the federal premium. i usu spend around 100 or a lil more on the ammo. this sounds like a lot of work but its a fun way to spend a saturday and well worth it.

go to the range or make a good one in your backyard. measure off 25 yards and 100 yards, have a good solid picnic table or such to shoot from and use sandbags. sight the rifle in at 25 yards, allow to cool and run a cleaning patch thru it. now shift to the 100 yard target.

dont worry about hitting the ten ring on the target as you probably wont. what youre looking for here is groupings. three to five shot groups depending on what your magazine will hold. allow your gun to cool completely between each grouping and dont forget the cleaning patch.

this procedure will give you an idea of which ammo your gun likes the best/least. of the rounds it likes, choose the one that will most generally satisfy your average hunting requirements. sight the rifle in at 100 yards, or 150, or whatever this time allowing the barrel to cool completely between each shot and be sure youre wearing your hunting jacket. (hahaha louisiana summertime at the range in a browning coat is NOT fun)

once sighted in with your primary ammo, go back to shooting groups with the other ammo weights of the stuff it liked. do not adjust your sights and do not compensate for elevation in your sight picture. your groups will be tight but either high or low depending on their deviation in weight from those you originally sighted in with. if you can place a target at 200 yards even better.

now, in addition to an afternoon of target practice which is always good, now you know for sure what bullets do what in your gun. if the 165 grain is your primary ammo but you forget it at home, wal mart is closed, and your hunting buddy has only 200 grain ammo you can borrow for the hunt. you KNOW already in your head from your target shooting that the 200 grain bullet compared to what you sighted in at is going to be xxxx inches low at 200 yards or whatever and you can adjust your aimpoint on the deer accordingly.

i guess ive rambled on a bit here but i do hope this helps you out, or at least someone else for all the typing ive done. hahahahahaa :)

oh, and be sure you save all your spent brass from the range. its now "fire formed" for your particular rifle and even if you dont reload now, there may come a day.

happy fishing,
    chad