Bullet molding

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by flathead willie, Oct 10, 2009.

1. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Does anyone else make their own bullets? I started buying molds years ago and found it's about as cheap a way to shoot as you can get. I have molds for 30-06/30-30, .357, .45 cal round ball, .50 cal. round ball, and .50 cal. maxi balls. I have accumulated about 600# of lead. That should last a few years.

2. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Billie, what ya gonna do when the EPA shows up? LOL

I had trouble making sinkers, so opted not ta try bullets. I use the ones from an outfit called Target Barn Inc, out of Ohio. And I'm stuffing them in brass, as quick as I can, as I look for the day when they outlaw lead bullets.....and the people who shoot them.
    :eek:oooh:

3. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    I've been looking into doing that also. I have been on Utube looking at all the info on there. I think I can do it. I pour my own sinkers now, so what a few bullets? I will probably learn to regret that statement, but I am a do it yourself kind of guy. LOL Anyway good post Willie.
    Later Andy

4. flathead willie

State:
    Virginia

I'm gonna shoot like crazy until they find me! LOL:wink:

5. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Billie I have an older mold That I use to use when I had my old 3 band smoke pole and I shaved it some what and came up with a 610 grain bullet and if your interested in the mold I'll be more then happy to send it your way. oh yea it was a 50 cal

6. flathead willie

State:
    Virginia
    What kind of three ringer did you have? I thought they were all big bores like .75 and such.

7. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    I'am sorry I said 3 ringer it was a 2 ringer I got my 3 ringer after I started the CVA reenactments.

8. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    I have molds for 9mm, .38, .357, .44, .45, and .50. I make about 500 round each every time I fire up my lead pot. Nothing like shooting your own bullets.

9. flathead willie

State:
    Virginia
    My Dad had an old Remington Rolling Block. I think that had three rings. It just hung over the fireplace for years. I don't know what caliber it was but a .410 shell would slide right down the tube. To my horror, I founf out that he gave away that gun, a highly engraved Belgium Browning 16 gauge with a hard case, a 1956 Marlin Mountie, and my Mossburg target .22 that I used to shoot matches with. None of them had been shot in 30 years and he just gave them to a neighbor shortly before he passed.

10. canebreaker

canebreaker Well-Known Member

State:
    Southaven,MS
    I mold .357 120gr. rn and 158gr. swc. I repour the ones that have heavy lines in them, but shoot the light lined ones. I found the cone of a bullit after shooting once. I guess it shot fine. I weighed the cone, I shot a 92 gr. wc.
    My boys want to get into molding 9mm and .380.

11. Kip Brandel

Kip Brandel New Member

State:
    Glasgow, Kentuc
    It is interesting this is on here because I am looking at getting some molds and starting. Any info you guys would be willing to pass along would be GREAT!! Like needed and unneeded equipment and stuff. I am looking at starting with 45 for 45acp and another for my 41 magnum.

12. canebreaker

canebreaker Well-Known Member

State:
    Southaven,MS
    I have the Lyman 357-120gr. rn 2 cav.
    Lee 357-158gr. swc 6 cav.
    I've replaced the spru plate on the Lyman
    and need to replace the one on the Lee.

Things you'll need:
    molds
    lube
    sizing die

I figure you have a furnace of some type now.
    Online places to go.
    fmreloading.com
    wideners.com
    natchezss.com
    midsouthshooters.com
    midwayusa.com

13. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Kip start with a good rock chucker by RCBS best single stage loader I ever used.

14. Kip Brandel

Kip Brandel New Member

State:
    Glasgow, Kentuc
    Thanks I have a Rock Chucker and 2- Dillon 550b's (one for pistol and one for rifle) and 30 different die sets for loads I am just going to be a HUGE newbie to making my own lead bullets. When I bought my last 5000 bullets I got 2500 200gr swc in 45 ACP and 210 SWC in 41 magnum for about $9 per 250. Now they are closer to $50. The company I bought mine from was 20 miles from my house and the 41 mag were like the old Keith from a custom mold we had built and now he is out of business and I moved 800 miles away.

15. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Oh okay I misunderstood the question then. You can't go wrong with a dillon press or rcbs either one. As for lead I would try to find some plumbers lead its real good at buillets making. I haven't made any in a few years. I took my 12x12 insulated building with about 20.000 worth of powder and reloading equipment and gave it to my first son-in-law. I had to progressive dillons and and two mec 600 in it and I think about 150# of different powders and shells out the yang yang. There is no telling at the dies I had. 24 years of stuff. Oh well I don't miss it. I gave all but just a couple of my guns to my oldest grand child. Got out of shooting and reloading a long time ago.

16. flathead willie

State:
    Virginia
    As a contractor I've come across all kinds of plumbers ingots under houses and in old sheds. I also get lead/Nichol ingots from ship hulls and chemical tanks. They are used for corrosion prevention in industry. When we had a dry spell a few years ago, the lake level went way down. I walked the edge of the lake one afternoon and found about 60-70 pounds of old sinkers and jig heads that were snagged on rocks and logs which were normally under water. I also strip out a lot of lead pipe from the old houses I re-model. It's all great for bullet making.

17. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Billie It got to where If I wanted any plumbers lead I had to watch some of the contractors in the big cities and call them and ask them to save me some. Sometimes it worked somtimes it didn't.

OBTW the package is on its way to yea.

18. flathead willie

State:
    Virginia
    Thanks Bubbakat! Yea, plumbers lead is getting harder to find. I was cleaning out an old shed a few years ago and found 10 five pound ingots buried in the dirt floor. I guess a plumber used to live there. My lucky day!!

19. Kip Brandel

Kip Brandel New Member

State:
    Glasgow, Kentuc
    Sweet!!!
    A friend did his own muzzle loader bullets and he preferred wheel weights. He said they were harder and leaded the barrel less. I have been getting them for years making sinkers and have a good connection for it by the 5 gallon bucket so I am going to use them. They are a little dirty but for the price I can deal with a little dirt. It just floats to the top anyway.:wink:

20. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    i make my own sinkers but have never gotten into making bullets but from what ive saw and heard from my brother in law wheel weights are way to hard for bullets.hes always trying to get my soft lead and will trade me 2 for one when he has any.