Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

bullet lube

4K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  BIGMIKE1957 
#1 ·
So does anyone make there own bullet lube for cast bullets ?? i tried the lyman super Molly lube. It works ok but messy . Thought about trying some bees wax mixed with atf fluid or stp oil treatment with a little parafin wax and possibly some carabuna wax.. Any suggestions ?

#7 ·
I mix bees wax and lard with a dash of graphite. This almost perfectly duplicates the lube that is on Eley Tenex .22 rimfire. Play with the formula if you prefer a more greasy or waxy lube. I prefer to lube my cast 45 bullets after they are loaded. I also dip 22 rimfire in the hot melted lube using care not to let the lube touch the brass, thus possibly entering the loaded cartridge. It GREATLY increases the consistency of 22s. Sort by rim thickness and turn blasting ammo into match grade.

#9 ·
You can go on you tube and there is a guy that shows how to make lube out of lanolin and iso heat.it works pretty good.i think it works better than that hornady one shot.you mix 1 oz of warm lanolin to 1 bottle of iso heat. (Use the red bottle) you can get both at wall mart.the lanolin costs about 5 bucks and get about 5 uses out of it and the heat you can get in 4 packs for about 5 bucks.put it in a squirt bottle and good to go.

#12 ·
Case lube, ok.
I was at a friends house while he was sizing 30-06 cases, early '90s. He was using One Shot on his bottle necks and had a couple to stick. Long before I got into loading rifle cases I looked into lubes. What was cheaper, what was better. I found an article on using 20w sae oil was cheap and about the best. A quart of oil was 0.85 back then and I filled a 4 oz applicator bottle, use it to lube everything in the house and my reloading room. In 2011 I got a RCBS lube pad in some reloading supplies from an estate sale. When I started loading bottle necks I washed the foam pad and soaked it in oil. I have 5,000 223 cases that have been through the sizing die twice and a bulge buster once, no stuck cases yet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.