Bull Sharks in the Ohio River

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY RIVERS TALK' started by Raven Blayde, Nov 21, 2009.

1. Raven Blayde

Raven Blayde New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I was watching Animal Planet a while back and saw where Bull Sharks were being found (and caught) in the Mississippi River and other fresh water rivers as well. I couldn't help but wonder if one has ever been caught or sited in the Ohio River. With a lot of us off of the water at the moment and not posting as much, I thought it would be at least something to talk about. lol...

2. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Interesting Bobby as I had not heard anything at all about this. Gonna have to do some more researching.

3. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
  4. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    hey, thats cool. a baby bull shark would be a state record :big_smile:

5. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Unless you catch papa bull shark, and he takes you to diner.

6. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    Well boys i have wondered the same thing. i have read quite a bit on bull sharks in differnt fresh water steams all over the world. looks like i am going to give up catfishing and just start chumming until i can catch one and set a new record.

great topic

7. beespringer

beespringer New Member

State:
    sunfish, k
    Maybe they will make it up the ohio and eat some of them turds the louisville sewer dept dumped out..:smile2:

8. Raven Blayde

Raven Blayde New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I always fish alone. After seeing this on TV, I couldn't help but get the "Spooks" at night when I was alone at 3:00am and miles up river in my John boat. lol... I guess I've watched "JAWS" too many times. :smile2: In the back of my mind, I've wondered to myself what I would actually do if I hooked on to one of these things. Would I do the smart thing (cut the line, because I would have no freaking clue how to handle a shark without getting killed), or would I sink my boat and get eaten in the middle of the night because I couldn't resist the temptation. lol... Considering what most of us are using for bait, if there are really Bull Sharks out there, we have a pretty good chance of hooking one eventually. What I watched was pretty interesting. They claim that years back, Bull sharks were rare in the fresh water rivers, but in recent years they have become much more common. Not only are they traveling the rivers more, but they are now breeding, having they're young there and seem to be making the rivers thier new homes. If they are there, it's just a matter of time before someone here catches one to prove it.

9. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    there is a big difference between the Mississippi River and the Ohio. I would imagine the that the bull shark wouldnt make it too far up the Miss before deciding to head back to salt water, and I seriously doubt it would make it all the way to Kentucky...those big blues can be kinda territorial!:smile2:

10. Jeremy Sheffey

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    i dont know if a blue can run one off but a flat would have the extra toughness to do the job i would say. when i was a kid we would hook into a shark every once in a while while fishing in the Chesapeake bay. they were a lot of fun to fight then, so i would welcome them. shark meat is fairly tasty to, so some of us would be getting some good eats out of the deal....

11. fishmonster13

fishmonster13 New Member

State:
    cincinnati,ohio
    i doubt you could get it to the boat unless , it's a small one or you're running steel leaders. when i go out tarpon fishing we regularly catch sharks but the really teethy ones always end up cutting the leader. if they do make it to the boat we just cut the line

12. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    One was caught right above St. Louis by a comercial fisherman some years ago. Another fresh water-saltwater giant is the saw fish it has been caught in the miss right above Louisiana. I wouldent worry the water temps get to cold for bull sharks in the winter. Could one be there mabe. Is there one that might runn up to even the ohio not likely. But it just makes ya wonder about the big fish ya hang never and never see.

13. JBrooks

JBrooks New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Jeremy on River Monsters caught one in the Miss.
    I wouldn't doubt there's some in the Ohio River. It was until recently they've actually "confirmed" that their in freshwater. They've been around longer than us, and who knows how long they've traveled up our main streams.

The one that was caught on River Monsters was considered a juvenile, he was born in the river ...

14. Jeremy Sheffey

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    im all for it brooks, hell if you get into a mess of them holler at me ill come up and catch them with you.

15. greg

greg USCA - STAFF Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    GA/ Ia
    After Katrina a pair of juvenile Bull sharks were netted below the Lock in St Paul Minnesota, they are in there. also there was an unconfirmed report of a bull shark in the Missouri river at Omaha Nebraska. Bull Sharks in the ohio sure there are.

16. kyjake

kyjake New Member

State:
    kentucky
    They have been found in the Ohio as far up as Louisville.
    Jake

17. mankind

mankind New Member

State:
    ashland ky
    no skinny dipping for me in river!!!!!!!!!!!!!:wink:

18. katmax

katmax New Member

State:
    griffin ga
    i think we need a bigger boat.....:smile2::smile2::smile2:

19. John Jennings

John Jennings New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I watched the same episode and I have wondered the same thing. It is definetly possible though probably not likely. It would put a new twist on things!

20. Andy52

Andy52 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Winfield, Mo.
    To funny..a bigger boat and...."Show me the way to go home"...:smile2::smile2::crazy: