Bull Sharks In Missouri?

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by daveinstlmo, Feb 9, 2009.

1. daveinstlmo

daveinstlmo New Member

State:
    missouri
    I was watching the History Channel last night and the had a show called MonsterQuest. The episode was called "Jaws in Illinois". It was a full hour about Bull Sharks in fresh water and they had pictures, but no video, of a 6 foot Bull Shark that was caught in the Mississippi by Alton, Illinois which is about 20 miles north of St. Louis and 600 miles from the Gulf. I think they said that Bulls have been found a couple of thousand miles up the Amazon. Given that, they could be in awful lot of water as far north as Missouri. Has anyone know or heard of anybody at all who has ever caught one? I guess one this size would be about impossible to land. They have to be really strong swimmers and one that is several hundred pounds would be about impossible to turn. FYI, I have caught several mulletts in the Meramec in 2000, which also can also swim up fresh water.

2. gdlocal10

gdlocal10 New Member

State:
    kansas
    are they a preditor like the mako and other sharks, :crazy:I swim in some rivers and Id hate to run into one of them. I dont swim in the Mo. but other rivers dump into it. Just curios

3. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    I heard of a story that a 6ft. bullshark was caught in the Atchafalaya River here in Louisiana near Melville... over 100 miles from the coast.

4. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
  5. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    I have heard that same story.Makes a person want to quit swimming in the rivers don't it. I can see how they could make it that far.From St.Louis on down there is no Dams just open water.Nothing to stop them from coming up river.

6. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    Bull Sharks are man eaters.

7. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    :big_smile_2::big_smile_2::big_smile_2::haha:

8. kmcalester

kmcalester New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Sounds like I will not be swimming in the river anytime soon.

9. duckalot

duckalot Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    I heard the MDC released them to help battle the Invasion of Asian Carp and Illegal hand fishermen. LOL
    :smile2:

Only Joking, everyone knows they use freshwater Crocks for that!!!!

10. rythymroach

rythymroach New Member

State:
    United States
    Thanks for the link Gary it was interesting!!

11. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    LMAO Rob!!

12. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    Good one Rob:confused2:. But I dont buy the shark story!

Tom

13. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Come on Tom, it's on the Internet, so it must be true :smile2: That includes the disclaimer at the bottom "Any resemblance in the above story to actual fact may be coincidental and could be disregarded, depending on your mood. April Fools!"

14. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    Im still a believer and now i know what to do with all the 10 lb to 80 lb cats i fillet out and clean ,, I will use the rest of it for bait for the sharks i dont fillet off the belly meat anyway so them sharks should have plenty to eat on !!!!!!!!!!!

I knew i kept them hay hooks when dad sold the farm for something besides noodeling :wink::wink:

15. catfishscotty

State:
    mo
    Im still a believer and now i know what to do with all the 10 lb to 80 lb cats i fillet out and clean ,, I will use the rest of it for bait for the sharks i dont fillet off the belly meat anyway so them sharks should have plenty to eat on !!!!!!!!!!!

I knew i kept them hay hooks when dad sold the farm for something besides noodeling :wink::wink:

16. catfishscotty

State:
    mo

17. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    I watched that show last year about the shark in the Miss. They also had more info on he Website about the show and some more info. So you never know what you are going to get when you place that nice piece of skip on your hook and cast out when on the Miss.

18. Wally_jr

Wally_jr New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    I dont know about Ill. but, I have been a shark enthusiast for many many years, all of my life really. I have heard and seen on shark week many occasions where Bull Sharks were in rivers, several miles maybe hundreds of miles inland. They are a very aggressive species. They are also scavangers, imagine a blue cat and a flattie combined with sharp teeth. i am not too much for swimming in rivers anyhow. But, how many times do yall remember about whales going up fresh water granted they breathe air, but look at several salt water fish that swim to fresh water, Salmon, red drum, striper. the whole commotion makes me want to use a steel leader on all my rigs now...wait a minute i already do stinkin blue gills!!!

19. katsandsuds

katsandsuds New Member

State:
    North Caro
    Don't know if they are that far inland or not, that is debatable, but the bull shark is the most deadly of all shark species. Seen this on shark week as well as several other things I have read. They are the most deadly because they are fairly aggressive, but also because they are able to swim and survive for long periods of time in freshwater. This puts them in places that humans are not expecting them to be, and humans are not looking for them. This allows them to "mingle" with humans at a higher rate then any other shark species. Add that to the fact that humans look like a wounded prey when they swim or are playing in the water, and you get attacks by an opportunistic predetor.

600 miles inland, sounds a bit much from what I have read in the past, but almost any thing is possible.

20. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Scotty, for a sec there I thought you were gonna tell us that you noodle Bull Sharks out of the Missouri. That's would be illegal you know :smile2: