Bull run steam plant

Discussion in 'TENNESSEE RIVERS TALK' started by limted, Jan 24, 2010.

1. limted

limted New Member

State:
    indiana
    I am wanting to know if anyone anything about the bull run steam plant if ther is shore fishing acess and if the fishing is any good and location i cant handle a boat so i have to do shore fishing i would delete the first post if i new how to becuse title is wrong it just says bull steam plant

2. craddock1

craddock1 Active Member

State:
    TENNESSEE
    Last I heard anyone going into bull run on shore was being arrested for trespassing.

3. festus

festus New Member

I heard the water temperature over there was around 50 degrees right now. You can fish from the bank as long as you don't get on the railroad track or go under the railroad track. Fishing is great over there in Spring but right now I don't know.

4. limted

limted New Member

State:
    indiana
    Any way i can find out for sure one says can the other i cant

5. festus

festus New Member

When you go to Bull Run Steam Plant, park in the parking lot and walk over the left side of the field. You'll come to an open gate, go in that way. And don't get anywhere on the downstream side of the railroad tracks or you will get a ticket.

6. festus

festus New Member

OK, I just found some Bull Run reports from another message board. Here's what I gather, don't know how true it is:

The plant started generating somewhere around Jan. 3, or maybe a little earlier. Water temp was 60 degrees a few days ago. There have been a few white bass, some 20 lb stripers and average size muskie caught in there lately. Not heard of any catfish. Shad were running heavily in there one day, all sizes from 2" to a couple of pounds. One fisherman said there were skipjack in there a week or two ago, but they were hit or miss.

If anyone wants to fish there and can't catch shad or skpjack, there's a bait shop up the road that sells live rainbow trout for about $2 each. They seem to be as effective as skipjack or shad on that lake. Muskies, stripers, and cats will hit them. They're full size, 8" to 10" live trout baits.

7. Scott C.

Scott C. Member

State:
    NKY
    Festus

Are you talking about Hammonds?

I usually do an annual steam plant trip (stripers) but wait to the last minute to pick which one. We haven't been able to catch jacks with any consistency the last couple trips at the Bull (in Feb) so big trout would be a nice fall back.

8. festus

festus New Member

No, Hammond Steam Plt is in Rome, GA, right? Bull Run is in Anderson County, TN near the Knox and Anderson County line right outside of Oak Ridge. About 10 minutes or less from Knoxville, TN.

So have you fished Hammond? I've heard of it but never fished in GA in my life I can recall unless we accidently got across the state line on Nickajack Lake.

9. Scott C.

Scott C. Member

State:
    NKY

Sorry - I got my wires crossed. I was talking about Hampton (not Hammonds) Trout Farm which really isn't all that close at all. Where is there a trout farm near Oak Ridge?

10. festus

festus New Member

They don't have a trout farm near Oak Ridge, but they have a bait shop that has live trout in a minnow tank in the Claxton area just outside Oak Ridge. It's called Edgemoor Bait Shop. They used to have a trout farm right outside Oak Ridge in the town that I grew up in--Oliver Springs, but they closed it down.

But I have a friend who used to live near Wataugua Lake. He fished for cats and stripers with live trout I think he bought at the same spot you mentioned at Hampton.

11. festus

festus New Member

They don't have a trout farm near Oak Ridge, but they have a bait shop that has live trout in a minnow tank in the Claxton area just outside Oak Ridge. It's called Edgemoor Bait Shop. They used to have a trout farm right outside Oak Ridge in the town that I grew up in--Oliver Springs, but they closed it down.

But I have a friend who used to live near Wataugua Lake. He fished for cats and stripers with live trout I think he bought at the same spot you mentioned at Hampton. That's a couple away from me. He won't fish for big fish with anything other than live trout. In a way it's cheaper than skipjack.

12. Scott C.

Scott C. Member

State:
    NKY
    Man, that's good info to know. Wish I would have read this post about 4 years ago....lol.

13. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    you just dont ever know what knowledge is out there on this site...haha

14. festus

festus New Member

If the plant is generating in early spring, I'm definitely going over there. However, I hear they won't be generating then, hopefully they will. It's probably the best bank fishing hole for big cats in my immediate area, and I can drive there in 25 minutes. Was over there twice last April, and caught one blue on a minnow that was 14 pounds. Also got a few more from 2 to 6 lbs. I saw one fellow lose a rod to a big fish, he was using shad guts for bait and it was probably a striper or big catfish. Another broke a boat fisherman's line anchored at the edge of a ditch channel. He was using 20 lb. test, didn't have a dip net or gaff and he said it was about 4' long.

15. limted

limted New Member

State:
    indiana
    do they catch white bass crappie and yellow stripes there also

16. festus

festus New Member

UT1Trey and I went to the steam plant a few hours Saturday. We didn't see any baitfish activity or anyone catching skipjacks, but there were plenty of musky in the area up to about 4' long. The only fish we caught was when there was a 3 way line tangle, some kid across the channel was tangled up with my line and my line was tangled up with another line of mine and fortunately Trey picked up one of the rods and got about a 6 or 7 pound channel cat. The only other fish we saw caught was about a 2 lb. cat caught by one of the young boys on the other side. Most everyone was fishing for muskies. The water temp is about the same as warm bathwater. I'm going back soon.