Bull Run Steam Plant

Discussion in 'LOCAL TENNESSEE TALK' started by festus, Jan 11, 2010.

1. festus

festus New Member

If anyone gets a chance to fish this area or has friends who have been there lately, please post your report. The smokestacks are smoking and I've read on another Tennessee fishing message board that the water is warming. They've been going for at least 8-10 days. I have heard of a muskie or two being caught over there, but that's about it. I'm giving it another week or two to defrost a bit, and maybe the skippies, shad, and stripers will find it by then. I've noticed there's been more boat trailers sitting in the Solway Park ramp area, so hopefully it will pick up soon right in the discharge.

Last April I got over there 3 times and the fishing was great. There were plenty of skipjack and shad around, along with muskie, stripers, yellow bass, white bass, largemouth and smallmouth, yellow perch, gar, bream, carp, crappie, buffalo, redeyes, and catfish. Then the TVA Police started writing warning citations for criminal trespassing. I got ticked because there wasn't a NO TRESPASSING sign to be seen. However, you are still allowed to fish the discharge channel as long as you don't get downstream from the small railroad trestle. I'm sure the striper and muskie fishing will get pretty good in the limited area as soon as the baitfish come around. Last year I got a 14 lb. blue by letting my float and shiner drift with the wind and current to near the peninsula downstream below the railroad. But, I'm not sure if the catfish will come up to the fishable area until spring. The average depth from the railroad track down to Bull Run Creek (approx 2 miles) is 15 feet. Down around Solway Park, it gets about 35' deep. Give it a month, and I'll try the Solway area.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2010
  2. TennesseeJugger

TennesseeJugger New Member

State:
    Watertown, Tenn

Thanks for the Info.

3. festus

festus New Member

Yep, it's a pretty good fishing hole, probably similar to Cumberland City Steam Plant but at a higher elevation, and colder water. There have been 4 state records caught out of this area, and there are also a few stray trout around during winter.