bull heads for bait

Discussion in 'Fishing Bait Review' started by shaky, Nov 11, 2009.

1. shaky

shaky Member

State:
    smithville mo
    Hey anybody use bullheads for bait when fishing for flatheads? How do you rig them up? Hook size?

2. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I like bullheads 6 to 8 inchs long. I hook in the upper jaw thrue the nostril port. I use a 4/0 to 6/0 octo J hook. I also like hooken em in the back about 1/4 inch deep by the lil back fin.

3. rcbbracing

rcbbracing New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I totally agree on hook placement, welder...i generally hook them in the back 1/4 deep also just below the back fin. They are rediculously hardy and make a great lively bait. I will use them any size if i can find em but 6-8 inches is pretty close to what i look for also. For hooks i generally run a 10/0 king kahle hook....experiment with circle hooks for channels right now. Might change up next year for flats also...we will see...

4. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    In the winter if I find where the flatheads are holding, I use a 3/4 oz jig head with a 4/0 hook. Hook the bullhead thru the bottom lip and drop him down on the flatheads then jig it up and down slowly. The bite is slow but when you do get a hit you will know it. I guess the bull head makes them mad after awhile.

5. hawgmaster

hawgmaster New Member

State:
    SE columbu
    ALL GREAT ADVICE HERE!!! i do rig mine up the same way never tried to jig em though...ill have to try it next season...

6. flatheadslayer

flatheadslayer New Member

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    i also hook mine through the top lip comin out the nostril.i use mostly 7/0 tru turns,carolina rig.

7. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    bullheads are one of my favorite flathead baits, size depends on where I'm fishing but usually as big as I can get is good,usually a bunch of 8 to 10 inchers. but smaller works too,hook them behind the dorsal fin mostly,once in a while I hook them through the upper lip but not very deep,I like the tru-turn hooks and the gamma octo -j's the best size BIG,usually 7/0 to 12/0 depending on bait size and area fishing. either fish them on a slip rig or under a bobber near the rip rap shoreline.

8. thecatman

thecatman New Member

State:
    Graham, Texas,
    i usually hook mine through the lips so they stay on the hook better and i often use a 8/0-10/0 hook either king kahle or big river hook

9. varmint_sniper

varmint_sniper New Member

State:
    OHIO
    Dave, dont lie you got that info from watching me do it this yr lol the flathead in my avatar came off a 4in bullhead in 2ft of water at 4;30am

10. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    all great advice here, i prefer to hook them behind the dorsal fin. they seem to be more lively that way. however with larger ones i prefer a quick set rig. thats two hooks one in the lips and one in the tail. my favorite way to fish them is with a float. even when the flats are deep. i try to rig my little bully up so that they are just off the bottom, but cant get to it. ill usually cut there dorsal and side fins off causing them to bleed a bit. that way there is scent in the water and the sense of a wounded food source to the flatties. the bully will keep trying to get to the mud to burry itself, and the float will keep him from getting there. that action along with the scent seems to create an irresistible combination for the flatheads.

11. rcbbracing

rcbbracing New Member

State:
    Ohio
    contrary to popular belief, i catfished for years before i started fishing with you. I been hook gill through the back since you were a bass fisherman. Only difference is up to this point all i ever caught on those pieces of live bait was channelcats...

12. shaky

shaky Member

State:
    smithville mo
    Thanks for all the great info. Next time i'll try bullheads along side my bluegills. I saw a video on YouTube where a guy was using a spinner incorporated into his bullhead rig. To me the extra flash and vibration seems like a good idea. What dose everyone else think?