Bull head baits

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by Ravensmavsfan, Jun 20, 2006.

1. Ravensmavsfan

Ravensmavsfan New Member

State:
    Cincinnati,OH
    I know if you've fished for channels for a while then you have caught a few bullheads, i wanna know the best baits for bullheads. I fish for them like bluegill, but i have found no consistent bait yet for them.

I fish a 18 ft wide river from 2 ft. to 4ft. Its full of trout, channels ,bullheads, red eared sunfish shad, bass and carp.

What techniques/rigs would you use? Carolina? Bobber splitshot and hook?Drift fishing?

Any input would be appreciated:smile2:

2. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    cant go wrong with worms

3. chubbahead

chubbahead Member

State:
    Ohio
    Redworms and a splitshot is how I use to catch them. Or was it a nightcrawler, I forget. Either way, use worms. Find an area with a mud bottom in 4 feet of slack water.

4. Norm

Norm New Member

State:
    Freeport, IL
    Nightcrawlers are best. You can cut them in half, and get twice as many for the same price. Bobbers work best, as long as the current is not too great. Make sure you stay with the right size hook, because they can strip your hook real fast, if they are too small to get hooked. They can be a pain in the *@&^, if you start getting the real small ones (3-4 in). All you do is feed them worms. However, it can be fun, if you have nothing else to do. I have a small "lake" near my city (about 35 mi to good fishing), and it contains about 90% bullheads and carp. Some bluegill, but I have never seen anyone get anything else. So if I want to kill an hour or so, I go bullhead fishing. Many of the local fisherman cut them up for catfishing--I don't want to try to keep these fish for bait, because the water is soo muddy, I believe the bait bucket would be fouled real fast.

5. catcam

catcam New Member

State:
    Georgia
    crickets and a bobber-

6. hillbillywilly

hillbillywilly New Member

State:
    Burnettsville, Indiana
    We like to use Catalpa worms they just go nuts over them. They should be getting close to being on the trees about anytime.

7. tragic

tragic New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    i alwaise use worms.. they work well.

8. breadboy

breadboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I use red worms, normally on a bobber rig (I only fish lakes). Works well.

9. porboy

porboy New Member

State:
    TX Panhand
    We always used shrimp and liver of all kinds. But shrimp was the number one
    bait.

10. dip

dip New Member

State:
    stinkin ohio
    i went after bullheads for bait last thusday nite. bought a dozen crawlers.... busted 'em into 4 pieces..... got 11 bullheads in less than 2 hours using only 4 crawlers. use a long shaft hook as the stoopid things will invariably swaller the hook and mebee a dinky splitshot. if you bottom fish you will git just yeller bellies, not gills

11. Spongiform

Spongiform New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I've caught alot using chicken liver.

12. heeler

heeler New Member

State:
    missouri
    The only way I can catch them and not everything else is worms on the bottem.

13. porboy

porboy New Member

State:
    TX Panhand
    I've had good luck using circle hook and they don't swallow the hooks so bad.
    Also they are very good eating. There used to be a big market for them in years past by comm fishermen.
    Bill

14. Ravensmavsfan

Ravensmavsfan New Member

State:
    Cincinnati,OH
    Thanks for all the responses, i'm alittle down about the mavs losing last night. But we'll come back next year.:big_smile: Now i have to change my signature.

15. breadboy

breadboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I am a heat fan :eek:oooh: . The have alot of vets so they are running out of gas.

16. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Worms, and Chicken Livers are good baits for bullheads.

17. d1d1d

d1d1d New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Having grown-up fishing bullheads(yellowbellies) in the "Town Pond",
    nightcrawlers were always the #1 bait. Unlike catfish, we did best when
    fishing deadline with a splitshot and 'leaving slack in the line'. Bullheads
    would run with the bait. Set the hook when line goes tight.
    When fishing large black bullheads in Minnesota, the pattern was
    the same. However, when lake bullheads are hitting furiously, it
    is best to bend-back the hookbarb with a pliers, to avoid spending so
    much time removing hooks. It wasn't unusual to catch 30-40 bullheads
    per hour per person.
    Prime-time for bullheads was always 1/2 hour before sunset to
    1 1/2 hours after sunset...and sometimes later.
    Hoping this helps you with your bullhead fishing. When skinned
    and cooked correctly, bullheads are very tasty.

Dan/Iowa

18. catcam

catcam New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I recently made a post asking what "buttercats" were. Come to find out they are bullheads, and "buttercat" was a sort of regional name for them in our part of the country. Last time I fished for these we caught about 100 + (6" to 9") in about 2 hours time, three of us fishing. We used crickets and red wigglers and fished about a foot, foot and a half off the bottom. Wow, what a tasty fish! But watch out if these little suckers ever fin you! I was hurting for days, one slipped from my hand and it's fin got me in the knee, laid me on the ground!:waaaht:

19. shortshank

shortshank New Member

State:
    Oregon
    If you have a lot of those horn-e little critters you can buy a bullhead rig already set up with two hooks. If you are lucky two at a time is the only way to go. Liver or worms is the ticket for bait. If you can find a mud bottom that should work for a starting place. Red, dew, earth, Georgia jumpers, any one of those kind of worms will get the job done.
    Don

20. porboy

porboy New Member

State:
    TX Panhand
    My dad always had us to rub some of the slime off the bullheads on the wound when we got finned. Took the hurt out fast. Still do it today and it still seems to work.
    Bill