Bull Frogs?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by thegavel, Sep 4, 2008.

Are Bull Frogs Good Catfish Bait?

1. Yes, Sure are!

2. No, Never had a bite

3. I have heard Good things

4. Never Tried them!

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    I am not sure where this post should go, please feel free to move it if you need to!!!
    ------

I had a brother call me earlier today saying he caught a couple small bull frogs he was going to try as bait.

I have run small bull frogs and large ones several times waiting for the clicker scream... It was a long wait... Never happened actually...

the question is...

Are Bull Frogs good catfish bait?

2. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I dont know brother you go to putting Bullfrogs on a hook and you might just catch.............me! Thats mighty good eatin right there. I have never tried to fish with them....but I just bet that a big ole catfish couldn't resist it. I think it might be a good presentation on a float rig so the frog couldn't hide, but just keep on swimming and able to come to the top for air. A big Ol Flathead would probably find it irresistable!!!!:eek:oooh:

3. CarolinaCatJack

CarolinaCatJack New Member

State:
    Travelers Rest,
    Christopher, I, personally, have never tried using frogs as cat bait. In fact, the only guys I hear using frogs is some of the local bass guys when all their fancy schmancy lures don't work.....and even then, they use small ones. The "strangest" bait (if you want to consider it strange) I've ever used for cats is crawfish. My fishing partner and I were at Santee-Cooper at the end of June not catching anything. On the last full day we were there, a guy offered a 5 gallon bucket full of crawfish. They seemed to work, for my partner anyway. He started catchin' while I kept on fishin'. LMFAO!!

4. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    I use Crawfish (crawdads up here) all the time, they work well...

I also use LEOPARD Frogs... They produce better then anything I have ever used, just hard to get!!!

Bull frogs on the other hand... still thinking no LOL

5. NewMexicoCatfisher

NewMexicoCatfisher New Member

State:
    Alameda, New Mexico
    I use young bullfrogs all the time and I catch bass and lots of catfish. I have to use mine dead since they are illegal to use live here

6. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Small bull frogs make good Bass bait

7. bigcatmaniac

bigcatmaniac New Member

State:
    California Miss
    I have never personally used them but i have been with people that were using them and they have caught some nice ones. I have used leopard frogs and have had great success on them. My buddy will only use small bull frogs, i have even seen him use tad poles to try to lure cats outta log jams and watched it work. There is just something about climbin on a bunch of logs that are strangely resting on a pile of rocks that says i shouldnt be on there.

8. Bad_fisherman21

Bad_fisherman21 New Member

State:
    illinois
    I have used baby bullfrogs about 1 inch wide for catfish got a few decent eaters and have a budyy of mine who was fishing with me catch a 15 pounder on a huge water frog

9. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    IT WILL NOT HELP YOU CHRIS!!!! THIS TOURNAMENT IS MINE!!!!!!!!!!!1

10. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    LOL @ Flathead Steve.... It was actually for Mike Skywalker...

I got my secret bait for this tourny... It is stewing as I speak!!!

11. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    OH..... OK....WELL IM NOT WORRIED ABOUT HIM :smile2::smile2:

12. ole whiskers

ole whiskers Guest

Would not be able to use one as bait. Because I will have already put him in the frying pan. TASTE LIKE CHICKEN.......

13. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    There is a place near here that used to have an all you can eat frog legs night. I went in there one night and ate so many that I had to loosen my belt before I went back for more. Thats some mighty fine eatin!!!!:big_smile:

14. switchback

switchback New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Bullfrogs are awesome bait but id rather let em grow for me to eat. Leopard frogs are great too and i dont know of anybody that eats them and there are no regulations on them, here in Illinois we have a season on bullfrogs so im not sure if you are really alowed to use them anyway but they do work.

15. CarolinaCatJack

CarolinaCatJack New Member

State:
    Travelers Rest,
    Come on now, Chuck....EVERYTHING tastes like chicken!

16. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Only saw a frog used a few times for bait. On those nights the bite was slow and we were hoping for a bite from ANYTYHING...all we did was drown the frogs...

17. Guido

Guido New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    One time I was at a farm pond and found a leapard frog. hooked it through the mouth and in about 5 min my pole was headed for water. I havent used any other time, but that once and it worked. So i cant really say it does or doesnt but i did catch one.

18. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    Absolutely a bull frog will work for bait.

We prefer spring peepers because they're easier to catch...and there's more of them...but a young bull frog...dead or alive works very well here in the river for channel, flathead, or blues.

The best way to catch pepers and bull frogs is at night. We'll drive the country at night on roads between a low lying wet area like a swamp, drainage ditches, or what have you...and then release the kids from the back of the truck with nets to catch them in the headlights as we laugh our a$$es off at them.

We'll get all we need that way...lol. (Them kids are good for something by god!)

19. raybait1

raybait1 New Member

State:
    SE Texas
    Bullfrogs have gotten scarce around these parts. Some say its the fire ants fault. I don't know, but I know I haven't heard a bullfrog much less seen one in over 5 years. I don't think its an over harvest issue because its the same way with common toads. They were both common when I was a kid but now....