bull frogs

Discussion in 'ALL OTHER FISH' started by catfisherman369, Jan 9, 2009.

1. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    anyone on here do any frog gigging ? Man we got alot of nice bullyfrogs last year .

2. Snakerivercat

Snakerivercat New Member

State:
    Idaho
    I've never gigged frogs before. Looks like fun when I saw it on t.v. What's your technique? What time of year? What equipment is all involved? We do get some big bullfrogs here in Idaho. Do you eat'em? Are they good tasting? How do you prepare them?

3. craddock1

craddock1 Active Member

State:
    TENNESSEE
    Never giged them but there is a pond near by that is loaded with them. I take a 15 foot pole with a 12 foot line and a 1/0 hook. just tie a piece of thread around the hook and slip around the pond when you find him just touch the frogs nose with the thread and he will grab the hook then the fight is on. I love to eat frogs legs. If you havent had them call the local chinese resturants and find one that serves them. They are great breaded and fried like fish.

4. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    I gig them or shoot them with a pellet gum . We skin them with catfish skinners and cut off the legs . Bread the legs and fry them the taste great .

I have heard of the string trick an old fella was telling us about it only he said the string had to be red .

If its night we hit them with a light and then gig them . We have a few spots we get them in the day we just shhot them with a pellet gun .

Bull frog hunting is fun .

5. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    I frog giged alot years ago but frogs seem to be declining in my area.
    I have heard that its due to herbasides and insectisides being washed
    into the streams. I have 5 small lakes close to my house and years ago
    you could sit on the porch in the summer and you would sometimes laugh
    at all the bull frogs bellowing back and forth at each other now its a treat
    to hear just one. I fish some of the places I used to frog gig and twenty
    years ago there were hundreds of frogs in the thick grass and now you
    can fish all night and hear maybe three. These places are not giged out
    very few people in my area were gigers. I don't know what happened.

6. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Sure hope the man in green doesn't ever spoil your frog shoot.....be a tough way to loose your stuff and privies.

Awful hard to beat a good plate of saddles for sure, I like them even better grilled little butter and garlic..... maybe a barley pop or two :smile2: