Bull Frog decline

Discussion in 'ALL OTHER FISH' started by Poppa, May 4, 2009.

1. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    Have any of you noticed a decline in your bull frogs in the last ten years.
    I have 6 small lakes and ponds in hearing distance of my house and years
    ago they would be so loud it would be hard to talk setting on the porch at
    night. Now you might hear one or two sometimes none. On the river I hear
    a few at times but nothing like it use to be. Some people say frogs are the
    bottom of the food chain and they are the first effected by pollution. Insecticides get in the water and insects are the frogs main diet.

2. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I was raised on a minnow farm in south Ark. and theres not the frogs it use to be. I just posted in the gathering thread, i wish i had a mess. If someone can run the motor without breakin my arm, i love catchin em with my hands.

3. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    I never tried catching them with my hands, We always gigged them.
    I have a friend in Tennessee and they waid the creeks and small
    rivers and shoot them with a .22 short.

4. Concept

Concept New Member

State:
    Huntington, West Virginia
    I really haven't noticed much of a decline. When I'm on the lake in certain areas, it can get really loud from frogs.

5. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    There is a decline in certain areas because of over froggin..And yes pollution does affect them tremendously..I have read some articles also the bullfrogs are becoming endangered..I haven't found any in Tennessee yet but down in Louisiana where I'm from I definitely witnessed a decline in the area I would catch them for years and years...Now you would be lucky to catch a dozen in that same area..I do think the reduced population of the frogs down there was a combination of saltwater intrusion and over froggin..I did find a place one time where no one else frogged and the population was huge and so were the frogs..If any one here from Nashville TN area knows where to go froggin fill me in...I'd love to get me some frogs..

6. tnvol

tnvol New Member

State:
    Clarksvill
    I love to eat frog legs but I havent caught them myself for years. We used to when I was a kid.

7. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i am seeing an increase where i am at. in the late winter i catch the tadpoles by the thousands before the shad actually start running in my cast net. a few of my bait spots have cattail marsh that's expanding a little every year, that might have something to do with it. i like to walk the edges and throw a texas rigged weightless plastic worm at them in the daytime. they will hit that sucker and stuff it in their mouth. i also pop them with a co2 pistol. never liked the ricochet of a .22 lr off the water. where the bullfrogs are thick i hardly ever see leopard frogs, they get gobbled up along with everything else that will fit in the bullfrogs' mouths.

8. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Thanks for the report Jordan. Are you other fellers SURE that you don't need hearing aides? No offense whatsoever, but if I couldn't hear the froggies in my neighbor's pond I would KNOW something is wrong. :wink: