Built my son his own boat yesterday

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by on_the_fly, Aug 3, 2006.

1. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    my son is only 7 but he sees me repairing boats all the time so finaly I through some scrap aluminum together and if I can get a pic to post I will show the out come. of are three hour creation. OK I think I got them up

Attached Files:

2. channelcat_tracker

channelcat_tracker New Member

State:
    Iowa
    will it work for a one man boat?? it looks like itll get hot on a hot summer day just to let cha know!

3. cattinfever999

cattinfever999 New Member

State:
    KY
    Thanks for the pics. Did he get in the water with it yet? It's great to see a father/son project. Keep up the good work

4. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Gotta love that. + reps for you and your son

5. turbinemanic

turbinemanic New Member

State:
    Arma Kansas
    That's really cool. It will be something he'll remember and tell his grand kids about. Congrat's on a job well done.:0a23:

6. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    yes he took it out on the pond yesterday. its got a great water line on it with him in it needless to say it didnt work out so great for ol daddy here. well he got a great laugh out of me in it for as long as it stayed afloot lol.

7. catwacker

catwacker New Member

State:
    illinois
    that is so cool! the boys lucky to have you for a dad.
    could you whip up an 18 footer for me? lol
    catwacker

8. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    WOW, Very impressive and a good build! May I suggest that you build in some floatation foam as added safety.

9. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    At 61 I still remember my Dad and my first boat.He will too.You done real good.I wish every kid could have dads like you and others here on the BOC.peewee-williams

10. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Great looking boat. I just see one thing it needs.
    a 1/4 inch hole close to the top edge for his stringer.
    I would have gave about anything for a boat at his age.

11. AllenM

AllenM Guest

Couldn't have said it better myself. Looks like he aught to have a blast with it, but as someone posted, it looks like it would get pretty hot around mid-day. I figure, if you cut some floatation foam to form fit the bottom, slap a bench seat into it, and then paint the remainder of the exposed interior, the surfaces will stay a lot cooler to the touch. The post about a hole for the stringer is good too, but I would put an O ring on the corner instead of just cuting a hole. Could use a nice pole holder too... Dangit, now you got me thinking about all the things that could be done with it and I'm gonna get all worked up and wind up trying to build one for my own sons next!! LOL!! :big_smile:

12. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Now that's just plain cool right there. It's cool I tell you.

Good Job......Good Dad

13. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Great little boat there. I got my first one at 9 years old. It was a 14ft wooden john boat. And a 9.9.
    So many great days on the river in it. But it was a up river boat only. LOL
    AS it would get you out. but not back . LOL

Pete

14. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Looks great brother, congrats.

15. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Great looking boat. It's a lot better that the mortar tub we used to float down the creek in.

16. badams

badams New Member

State:
    california
    Thats a lucky boy. Its obvious that boats are a big part of your life and interest you. If he gets a wild hair about something that doesnt interest you later down the road I hope you help him out with that as well ?

17. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Wow, nice work my friend. I know he likes that, wish I had one like that for my pond. Again I say, nice work.

18. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    thats a pretty awesome thing. i would have gone crazy with joy if my dad would have done that for me as a kid. reps to you!

19. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    That's awesome, that's one lucky kid and when he out grows it it would be great to pull along behind with duck decoys in it!!

20. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    after yesterday I thought his boat was a little too unstable, so this morning I put him on the school bus and went straight out to the garage and plazma cut it right down the middle and added 1 foot 1 inch to it. MAN WHAT A DIFFERANCE !! now this little boat will even float my 270 lbs. O-YES I have the pics to show it . but its finnished now and painted even put him on a KY reg #. I will probable go back and add lift handles to it but its good for now. the boat weighs in at about 25 to 30 lbs.

Attached Files: