built a shooting bench today!!

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by on_the_fly, Sep 5, 2009.

1. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I have like most usualy found myself trying to prop my body up against something to try and steady myself enough to try and sight in my scopes. well this works farly well over the past. but I just resantly built a covered deck for my uncle and when done I brought all the scraps back to the house. well with deer seasson here (bow seasson started today here in KY) I thought about pulling out all my rifles as I do every year and ckeck to make sure they are still sighted in. well as I was in the garage I got to looking at the left over lumber and the light bulb in my head got so bright it popped. well about 4 hours later this is what I ended up with. note on the vise the front of it there is a metal angle that I'm useing for the front leg, since its the weekend I have to wait till tuesday around here because I need two bolts and nuts. I plan to weld the nuts to the top side of the angle and use the bolts for vise support and hight ajustment. in the first pic I added rubber to the top but I later desided to take it back off.

Attached Files:

2. SWeiss

SWeiss New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Wow, reps! Nice job!

3. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Thanks, looks good!

4. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Great job,Leroy. I built one that is portable many years ago,Then a few months later saw one very similar in a outdoor sports catalog that was patented:sad2: I thought I had the only one in the world.:wink:

5. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    thanks guys!! I think I'm going to pick up a pint of stain for it later today. I sanded it all out real well yesterday so all the edges are nice and rounded.

well richard I got the idea in my head but I went to the web for a few ideas on how. the one I built was my copy of a table I found that origanaly was a right and left handed shooting table. I like the design so I just took off the left handed shooting over hang from the tableand seat and went right handed only. but all my cuts were to my likeings for I only had a pic that I changed to go off of.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2009
  6. DLB-in-GR

DLB-in-GR New Member

State:
    MI
    That is a fine shooting bench. I use my shooting bench as a fish cleaning station too, it happened to be exactly the right height to clean 'em without having to stoop over with my back. I have seen many good benches for sale or instructions to build them, but the shooting bench does the trick (with lots of newspapers and a spray down from the hose when I am done).

7. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    OK I went to wally world this morning and picked up a stain and here it is. done enough for my likeings!!! its got two coats of cherry stain on the bench and the vise.
    thanks for all the coments guys I just thought I would show it incase anyone else wanted to build one. this one would give them Ideas and a look for an outcome finnished product.

Attached Files:

8. Blue Duck

Blue Duck New Member

State:
    Idaho
    Looks good. I like it.