Building your own Prime Time catfish pond???

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by channelcat_tracker, Jul 5, 2006.

1. channelcat_tracker

channelcat_tracker New Member

State:
    Iowa
    ive fished ponds where all i caught were catfish. now if i take that information and then in later years build my own, if i build a 4 to 10 acre pond with brush piles that would favor the flathead and channelcatfish and put in bluegills and other bait fish with bullheads and give them protein mix, i would have a prime time healthy catfish hole! also put in some crappies grasss carp and bass for more food lol! well what do yall think would that be a nice pond plus id have it round shallow parts and some 14 + deep holes! i want this a perfect place so i can come out with some records in it!

2. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Might want to leave out the bass. They tend to eat the same food as the cats.

My uncle stocked his with channel cats and a hybrid of bluegill that spawned 60% male/40% female to keep them from outbreeding the pond.

You can probably keep the crappie in there, but I would add some creek chubs or larger minnow type fish. The grass carp won't cause a problem at all with anything else and your bullhead might go well also since they "usually" don't get big enough to really compete with the channels. Then again, the new world record yellow bullhead came out of a 2-3 acre pond here in Missouri (6# 6oz.).

3. AllenM

AllenM Guest

One of these days I'd LOVE to own some property so I could build my own pond. That sounds like an awesome idea.

4. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Thats a dandy plan, just good luck finding the right 10 acres to flood, that will be harder then you think.... The soils and topography would have to be just right and then it will still be a mighty expensive undertaking. Best bet is to find land with a lake already on it, that is what works best and is more economical then building one yourself, Ponds are like swimming pools, they do not add any value to the home and in some cases actually detracts from the value ( if its flooded over quality farm land) so look for that then buy it, then pump some of the water out, and start adding your blues and flatheads and the such, just make sure you got plenty of food for them to eat! Its also not recommended to add Shad to small lakes as they make the water murky like carp. but if the lake is big enough, shad might give you a great food sorce for the cats. Spawning habitat will be the best thing to add.

Good luck and be sure to host a BOC event there when your ready!!

Salmonid

5. channelcat_tracker

channelcat_tracker New Member

State:
    Iowa
    yea ill be sure to do that! sounds good. i know the bass tend to eat the fishes eggs but they can be used for food but not likely. sounds good to just plain buy one and then make it to my size. what i want are holes in it for the cats and i also want to attract mammals like deer muskrats and beavers to trap and hunt etc...the bullheads are for food and the bluegills add to the food....the crappies are their for my future children (if i get any) and hosting a party for the BOC their would be great sept the pond may be a little small! :lol: o well :roll_eyes: thisll happen in future years and not right now! lol everything starts with a dream!

6. Norm

Norm New Member

State:
    Freeport, IL
    Check with your state DNR. They will have good info on minimum size lakes for fish. They may also tell you where to get stock fish. Some states will also help you do an initial stocking of fish, or at a reduced price.

I would also be careful of the bullheads. If allowed to, they will multiply in great numbers.

Buying land with an existing pond would probably be the best route, because it may be several years before the pond is designed and built, and then another 5 or 6 years before you get good sized fish. An existing pond can be improved with much less effort.

A lot of ponds also are created during road construction (excavated for fill material) near interstates and other large expressways. I wonder if they are owned by the state, or by the farmer who owned the land near the expressway.

Also check with your local US Soil Conservation Service, or other US departments about building your own pond. They may also have info. My father used to work for the Soil Conservation service, and helped farmers design/build their ponds. When I was a kid, we got to fish on a lot of little farm ponds and creeks. I wish he were still alive so we could go back to some of those places, and get the big ones that are there now.

7. dcaruthers

dcaruthers New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I'm not sure I agree with the bass competing for the same food statement. I owned a pond in Sumter, SC and had some folks from Clemson come survey it for me. They told me that channels, bass, and bream are the best to stock because they don't compete for the same food. They also told me to leave the flatheads and croppie out because both species can eat their own weight in baitfish and it would be too expensive to feed them. Just my opinion.

8. bubbasmouse

bubbasmouse New Member

State:
    Chesterfield South Carolina
    It will be alot less headaches to buy some land with a pond already. When building a pond now the Federal gov. can be a real pain with the wetlands act. I have a small pond and went to a class sponsored by the state agriculture extension and that was one topic they stressed greatly was the impact of the wetlands act on building new ponds.