Building Structure for Bass

Discussion in 'Bass Fishing' started by LRTX1, Apr 16, 2007.

1. LRTX1

LRTX1 New Member

State:
    Alachua, Florida
    I am looking to build some sort of structure in a private 3 acre pond. What materials and design or lay out of the structure would be best?

My thoughts would be to use concrete parking stops in a lincoln log fashion, Two to three feet tall. Also, toyed the idea of broken concrete drain pipe.

I have a few resources for materials mentioned above. Anything else would need to be free or relatively cheap.

Equipment used in the placement of the structure is available.

Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.

Layne

2. kickin_wing

kickin_wing New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I asked this question last year and here is what someone told me to do and this is what i did. I got 3 or 4 pallets and stacked them on top of eachother. Then i put a band around all of them to hold them together. This holds more smaller bait fish in it but the bass will hang around it waiting for the small fish to come out. Another thing i have done is put old pine trees in a bucket of concrete and sink them.

3. ersel

ersel New Member

State:
    Haughton Louisiana
    pvc pipe 1/2" ran through a vertical 4" or 6" pvc pipe

4. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
  5. LRTX1

LRTX1 New Member

State:
    Alachua, Florida
    Thanks for the responses. We already have 3 stacks of pallets in place, about 3 years now. Other than the pallets not much structure.

The first 3 years after the pond was stocked, the bass grew like mad. By the end of the third year, there were a few 5 pounders caught. Seems all we can catch now is 1 to 3 pounders. I had a feeling, like the article suggested, lack of structure may be the problem. I do believe there are bigger fish, just unable to catch them...lol Catching the numbers has never been a problem at this pond. It's catching size that puzzles me.

Again, thanks for the responses. I will continue to do some research on the net before we undertake the project. I will do a little fishing, I mean "reasearch" at the pond on saturday morning.

Layne

6. kickin_wing

kickin_wing New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Ive got the same problem, like you said, the first few years i would put little effort into catching a 6 lber but not all i catch is little 12 inchers. I guess i might need some more structure also.

7. chuck99

chuck99 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I bet this is EPA Non-Approved, but old tires tied together make fine stumps.... .......for bass, bluebill, crappie, and CATFISH.

8. madmatt010

madmatt010 New Member

State:
    ohio, dayton
    I own a couple small gravel pits that we rent out to skiers to use. and i had it dreged out a couple years ago to make it a little wider and we kept all the huge bolders and piled them in one big group i always catch good fish off of that pile. are you sure your big bass have enough forage fish to feed on? this can have a huge effect on bass size

to get some big rocks just go to some construction sites most the time they dig them up because there in there way and they need to get rid of them

9. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    It doesn't take much, and doesn't have to be elaborate...a few rocks, of the size a man can handle, will do the job. If you can get some broken or used cinder blocks, they would be perfect.

10. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Usually the 3rd or 4th year in the life of a pond will be the best most consistent fishing and catching of quality fish you'll ever see in it without alot of management.
    The reason is forage and fish stocks.
    You'll have to remove alot of fish yearly to keep the fishing top notch. (alot more then you would think).
    Many Moo U. institutions like NCSU have pond management guides and can help alot in having that Bill Dance place to fish.

When I hear someone say, "I've got this pond we can go to that hasnt been fished in years or we can fish there but the ol man wont let anybody keep anything" I dont get excited. There might be a few big ones lurking there but the fishing overall is isnt going to be that great and more then likely you'll get tired of pulling dinks by my experiences.

When I fish in the ponds on the farm I'll keep virtually anything I catch even if I dont want them.
    I always know people that want fish. A knock on a door with fish in hand is a nice surprise. A knock on the door with a pot full of dressed fillets is a gift like no other to folks that love to eat fish.