Building my catboat, what should I include???

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by Dallaskatdaddy, Oct 29, 2008.

1. Dallaskatdaddy

Dallaskatdaddy New Member

State:
    Texas
    Hello everyone, I am new to the BOC and I need a little help. I have my very first boat, its a 70somthing 15ft fiberglass trihull with a 70 hp johnson. Its a piece of junk that I am rebuilding and I hope to turn it into my catfishing boat. I own and operate a paint and bodyshop and I'm in sales of automotive finishes so I know how each process works and how to do the repairs. I have no idea what I should include in the build, do you guys have any ideas or info??? I have already broken it down and redid the fiberglass on the inside, ripped out the glass, refinished the outside of it in white acrylic enamel. I broke down and refinished the trailer also in white with black fenders also in acrylic enamel. I welded on a new trailer coupler, new tires, new chains. I am going to spray in a tintable bed liner on the inside also white. Should i add holders, lights, a table ect???? Any ideas will help.

2. Brentkeele

Brentkeele New Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    first things first, Welcome to the BOC!!

Rod holders, and lots of 'em in my opinion, are a must on any cat boat. Also, do you plan to fish tournaments in this boat? If so, you will need some sort of live well set up on it. If not, then the livewell will be up to personaly preference. I like to have as much dry storage as possible as well.

Since a lot of catfishing is done at night, you will need, at the minimum, anchor and navigation lights. Other lighting concerns to consider are interior lighting (a lot of guys like to use red to preserve their night vision) and possibly some black lighting (this is only helpful if you use monofilament, not braided line)

The type of water you fish will determine what kind of anchor(s) you will need. If and when you fish still waters like lakes then simple mushroom anchors will probably do you pretty good most of the time. If you fish rivers with current, then a danforth or grappling type of anchor will by necessary. Also make sure you have a lot of anchor line so that you can anchor effectively.

Don't forget about some sort of rod storage. There is nothing worse than getting in your boat and finding all your rods all tangled up and messed up.

Some method, there are lots to choose from, for keeping your bait in usable condition. A bait well or an aerated bucket are two examples of this.

Something that I am blind in my boat without is sonar. Gitcha the best depthfinder you can afford. I am also becoming increasingly dependant on my GPS unit. As you probably know there are some FANTASTIC sonar/gps combo units out there. Any of the well known reputable companies who build these can be trusted. It just boils down to personal preference.

I would highly recommend a good trolling motor. While it's not a tool that is used as heavily in catfishing as it is in bass fishing, it is still an extremely valuable tool. I use mine often for various purposes. These include: drifting when the wind won't do it for you, a backup for emergency situations when for some reason the outboard won't work, and moving the boat around while looking for bait and throwing my cast net.

This is just the tip of the iceberg on possibilities for the utltimate catboat, but I hope you find these suggestions helpful.

Oh yeah, post some pics of the boat. Sounds like you are doing a nice job on it.

Good luck to ya!

3. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Welcome to the BOC, this site is full of good info and great people. I would recommend checking out a couple of tournaments and looking at the rigs.

4. Duckpoor

Duckpoor New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Big Midwest welcome! :wink:

As has been suggested, get with those that have navigated the learning curve before you.
    Ask lots of questions and take notes , not so much as to what was done but why it was done.
    Lots of things we just don't think about till the need arises..

Bait wells, bildges, interior lighting, Dry storage, Battery and Fule tank access.
    Switch placement for all that new stuff, considerations on where the boat will be stored, Inside or outside makes a big difference on configuration and what can live in the boat or needs to be removed and carried in the shed between trips.

Creature comforts , coolers , shade, clean ability ... everything needs a drain.

Not much a guy likes to talk about more than his Rig. Be polite and just ask permission to "study" his handy work.. I would bet they will fill your suggestion box to the top.

Good luck and get after them.

r green

5. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I agree with Duckpoor ,There is so may idels out there that you will need to find the ones that fit your type of fishing and in my opinion there is a lot dry storage needed

6. misterwhisker

misterwhisker New Member

State:
    T. Bowl
    you will need to build a live well, either for bait or fish,most of the time this is located in near the back of the boat, it should be a self draining and self filling system, of course with an aerator, you could use an old cooler for this, just run a hose from the cooler to the transom,you will have to drill a hole to accommodate a plug,just make sure you center it for good balance, and you could put the dry storage on either side of that for batteries,life jackets,etc, go around and look at different boats, that will give you some ideas on how to do yours...good luck in your fishing adventures.

7. catfishcraz

catfishcraz New Member

State:
    arkansas
    I HAVE TO AGREE WITH EVERYONE ABOVE. BUT JUST SOMETHING NOT MENTIONED. WHEN GETTING TROLLING MOTOR MAKE SURE YOU GET ONE BIG ENOUGH FOR THE BOAT. AND REMEMBER WHEN YOU INSTALL OR ADD STUFF TO YOUR BOAT YOU ARE ALSO ADDING WEIGHT TO THE BOAT SO THEREFORE PUT IN WHAT IS NEEDED AND LIMIT IT THE BEST FOR PERFORMANCE YOU CAN GET AND COMFORT. GOOD LUCK AND I AM CURIOUS WHAT IT LOOKS LIKE. POST A FEW PICS FOR US TO CHECK IT OUT AND FOR MORE ACCURATE SUGGESTIONS.

8. mankind

mankind New Member

State:
    ashland ky
    what they said:smile2: sounds like its covered:wink:

9. Kelmar

Kelmar New Member

State:
    Bixby, Oklahoma
  10. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    I do not have half of the thing listed here. They either dont fit my budget, or they dont fit my style of fishing. Some of them would just take up vauluable spce in my small boat. I fish all kinds of places. Ponds, chesapeake bay, rivers, and not just for catfish (i know, but i like variety). I also want to be able to hunt and crab. My point here in all this rambling, is to listen to all these suggestions. They are all good suggestions, but not all of them will fit into your plan or style for fishing. Take them into consideration and then decide for yourself. You really dont NEED anything other than some fishing tackle and a rod, and maybe an anchor. Try that once or twice, then see what you want or need to add. Just start with your basic required safety equipment.

11. Dallaskatdaddy

State:
    Texas
    thanx guys, your tips have been very helpful. Does anybody know how to or where to buy a steering cable??? Mine was bad and i cut through it in the break down and now I need a new one, how do I get one that fits exactly the same? Oh yeah I want to upload some pictures of the build but I have no idea how to... Can anyone point me in the right direction???

12. CAPTIN BILL

CAPTIN BILL New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i had an older boat that had a broken cable and couldn't find a replacement due to age; i took a piece of the old cable to the local hardware store , they had the size that i needed and all the clamps; i took and cut it to size with bolt cutters and installed both sides, as best as i could and it worked just fine, although my stearin wheel was slightly off center...lol

13. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    First off welcom to the BOC. Looks like you have a ton of good ideas. Figure out what is best for you and what you want it to do.
    Good Luck.

Tom

14. Dallaskatdaddy

State:
    Texas
    ive heard somthing about teleflex syeering cables, does anyone know anything about them?

15. CarolinaCatJack

CarolinaCatJack New Member

State:
    Travelers Rest,
    You don't really need any fancy brand-name steering cables. Go to your local hardware store or Lowe's/Home Depot and get some clothes-line cable. It's heavy enough to take most of the abuse you'll give it and it's also pretty much weather-proof. We used this on a friend of mine's boat, not knowing if it would work or not, but the budget was tight and we thought "What the hell....." It turned out to be a good move. It's still tight and hasn't weathered at all.

16. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    good cable, and easy to instal i replaced mine in july after someone stole my motor and cut my cables:angry: cost me around 200 bucks and mine was a 12 ft cable

17. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    oh yea, i got mine at a local boat dealer, just make sure u bring your old cable so they can match the length

18. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    in the first week of june i came out to this, all cables were cut, thief sold my motor to a local marina, took a month to get it back since it was evadence:angry:, it was a 40 hp mariner

Attached Files:

19. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    another good thing to add is a good lock for your motor, i learned that lesson:angry:

20. Dallaskatdaddy

State:
    Texas
    thanx for the tip lendog. ill keep that in mind.:wink: