Building deer feeders

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by samh, Jan 28, 2007.

1. samh

samh New Member

State:
    Damascus,Arkansas
    Several folks have asked about building the feeders in the pictures I've posted. They are just 4 to 5 feet long 4 inch PVC, the hanging ones have a 90 street L and a 45 street L on the bottom. The one that sits on the ground and is tied to a tree or post has a regular 90 with a 10 inch piece of 4 inch PVC and a cap on the end. Before you put the 4 inch piece into the 90 or the cap, cut about 1/3 of the top out (length wise) to make a trough. Bore 1/4 inch holes in the very bottom of the feeder for drainage. Put a cap on the top and it's ready. 4 inch PVC will hold about 5 pounds of corn to the foot, you can use 6 inch if you want them to hold more. Light weight sewer pipe and fittings are a lot cheaper and seem to hold up almost as well as schedule 40 PVC, if you want to save a few $$.

2. gmc3500

gmc3500 New Member

State:
    NM
    thanks for the good info on the feeders. Imgoin to try and build one of thos they deffenitly work lol

3. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Thanks Sam. I've been feeding right on the ground behind an old cemetery wall that is in the back yard, at the edge of the woods. I thing I'll hang one from the big Magnolia tree that is back there.

4. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I used a 55 gal drum with a 2" hole in the side, near the bottom for years...easy to load, holds 350# of corn.

Hogs will tear up anything they can reach, so I had to go to hanging broadcast-style feeders.

5. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Sam, those are almost identical to the ones Buddy (my husband) makes, & they work great. And, like you said, not real expensive. I can vouch for the fact, though, that they can't take a hit from a .308 & come through it!!:lol: Yep, years ago, I shot a deer standing at the feeder; the bullet grazed the feeder, split in two, then hit the deer. When I got to him, he had 2 bullet holes, side by side....and the feeder...well...we couldn't save it! Corn went everywhere!!! I should've gotten a picture made w/my "trophy"! Haha!!

6. gmc3500

gmc3500 New Member

State:
    NM
    Man thats a rilly funny story. I wished i could have seen that.

7. samh

samh New Member

State:
    Damascus,Arkansas
    I just bet a 30 cal bullet and PVC don't mix too well, at least ya got the deer. I shot at a very good buck years ago, he was standing broadside at 50 yards, I had a rest on a tree and made a sure shot with a 30/06, except instead of hit'n the deer, I shot the top wire of a barbed wire fence into. I didn't see the wire in my scope. Cut the fence clean into, wire rolled up for 20 feet in both directions and the deer ran off, never found a drop of blood, deer didn't act hit, never did know where that bullet ended up, I was so stunned at miss'n and wire fly'n everywhere I never gt off a second shot.

8. Stainless

Stainless Member

State:
    Ft Smith, AR
    Hey Samh, about how often do you have to fill those feeders up on average? I plan on hunting a few large islands next year and thought about putting some feeders on them .

9. samh

samh New Member

State:
    Damascus,Arkansas
    They empty mine almost every night. I use the 4 inch PVC 4 to 5 feet long, it'll hold about 5 pounds per foot. You could use 6 inch PVC to hold more (should hold about twice as much)and make the longer, too.

10. Blue Duck

Blue Duck New Member

State:
    Idaho
    Thanks Sam for the info. I have used the PVC befor but not with the elbow. Good idea. Great pics...... Thanks.

11. KATMANDETTE

KATMANDETTE New Member

State:
    Cedar Key, Florida
    This sounds like a city-gal question, but what does a pig have to do with a deer feeder?

12. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Guy's and Gal's just remember to check your regulations. In Arkansa they are leagal on private land but if you are on WMA's then they are illegal. I used them for years but now they are illegal to use on the Ozark National Forest WMA :sad2: .

13. samh

samh New Member

State:
    Damascus,Arkansas
  14. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Wow thats a mean looking dude I had ones head mounted one time my wife named him george after a hunting buddy of mine ( shows what she thinks of my buddys):tounge_out:

15. Blue Duck

Blue Duck New Member

State:
    Idaho
    Thats quite a Hog Sam. Id like to hunt them sometime. We don't have them around here......

16. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    That's a good looking hog; I've wanted to get one since we realized we've got them on our lease. Well, we had them, until the loggers moved in for a couple of years. They're probably still around, just sneakier. They sure will mess up a food plot in a hurry. I see fresh sign every year, but I've yet to actually see one!! My nephew got one on our lease several years ago, but nobody else has seen them, either. I'll bet they would really mess up good farmland.