Building Arrows!

Discussion in 'Bowhunting' started by flathead willie, Dec 27, 2006.

1. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I bought a 6 arrow fletching jig about 5 years ago and , until yesterday, I'd only replaced one or two vanes with it. Well, I finally broke it out and re-built all the arrows I've had laying around for years. Some needed nocks, some needed inserts, some needed vanes. I'm glad to say that they are all fixed now and I have more arrows then I've ever had. I have 4 & 1/2 dozen, all with the same white vanes or feathers, ready to go. Now I can go back to small game hunting without worrying about losing one now and then.

2. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    I've got a single Bitzenberger?(haven't had to use it for a while) and I've got more arrows fletched up than I'll go through in a couple of years. It's nice not to have to worry about running out to get more arrows made up. I gave up on the "pro" shops building my arrows after vanes were falling off before I even shot the arrow. Quality control's a lot better when you do it yourself.

3. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    I bought my son a bow for Christmas, a Hoyt compound. I realise this isn't what you shoot, but I am interested in learning how to repair the vanes and nocks. Later Andy

4. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Flathead Willie, I think of all the time that I spent as a kid looking for one of the lost arrows after shooting at a running jack. The closer ones lay flatter in the weeds, and then more straight up when you let loose with one at greater distances... At the "roving range" where my Dad was caretaker of several of the targets, I would go out in back and look and find arrows that folks gave up for lost.... We would put em on a table when we had "shoot outs" and the owners could get em back. I made up a single tang rake to make finding process easier. Your 6 arrow fletching jig sounds great... Been to many years to remember what we had. I think that it was one at a time with three feathers. That fletching jig has to be somewhere in the garage. I know one thing for sure, the glue applicator is stuck. Someone forgot to clean it when done.

bayrunner ray

5. flathead willie

State:
    Virginia
    Andy, anyone who does a lot of shooting could use a fletching jig. Unless you have a very good target, (and never miss it), with a good bunker behind it, you are going to lose arrows and tear off fletchings and nocks. I live a long way from the nearest archery shop so getting them repaired is time consuming and expensive. It usually takes 1-2 weeks to get arrows made or repaired. The shop charges 20 cents a piece for vanes PLUS more to put them on. I buy feathers and vanes for about $9.00 per hundred and $3.00 for the glue. Even a single jig will pay for itself in no time. I paid less for the 6 arrow jig then I did for a dozen arrows. I save all my broken arrows (deer break 3-6 every year) and get them from friends and re-use the nocks and inserts. The jig I use does both 3 & 4 fletch, strait, right helical or left helical.
    Ray, I was going to mention the rake to find arrows but you beat me to it. That's an easy way to find those arrows that get buried under the turf. That's why I practice from a tree stand or place my target in front of a bank or hill. That way it's easy to find stray arrows and protect the fletching. For some reason, grass will tear fletching off faster then anything.

6. dannybcc

dannybcc New Member

State:
    Sioux City, Iowa
    Hey guys,
    Funny this post is on here today when I brought it up. I told my wife I would like to learn to build my own arrows. So for christmas Santa got me a JoJan mono fletcher. I does single arrows but I can still make them faster than I can loose them. I think. Our pro shop is only 5 miles from my house. The guy that runs it has for 35 years. Really knows what he is doing and has alot of respect from bowyers around the country. An interesting man by the name of Ted Nugent even has stopped in to visit with him when he is in the area.
    Anyway, I received some 2018 Eastons off of Ebay that came with a bow I purchased. Arrows were in good shape but the fletchings were shot. He showed me yesterday and today how to strip the old fletchings, set up the mono fletcher, nock, refletch, remove old insert, cut to length and reinstall the old insert. The arrows look knew and I have the honor of having built my own arrows.
    They wont be easier to loose, cause I will look for them harder.
    Tight lines
    Danny J

7. flathead willie

State:
    Virginia
    The Jo-Jan is the one I use,too, Danny. It's a good jig. Just for kicks, I asked the guy at the local bow & gun shop about a dozen arrows the other day and was told they would be about $90 a dozen....and that is for three fletched, not four like I use. I don't think he'll be getting much of my business.

8. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    Hi Willi, thanks for the info, and I have been looking at arrow building stuff on ebay, and now I have a bunch of questions. Do you buy the blanks and assemble yourself?
    How do you find the proper shaft size? Why do you use 4 fletches instead of 3? How do you find the proper length for each person? How do you determine the weight of the tips? I am probably going to have to fix my sons arrows, and I also plan on buying a crossbow. Well I do hope I don't overload you, but inquiring minds (me) would like to know. Later Andy

9. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    I almost forgot, I go to Keyser West Virginia about once a year, it's beautiful out there. I go with a friend who was raised out there, and we go to get the apple butter they make in Bayard W. Virgina. Later Andy

10. dannybcc

dannybcc New Member

State:
    Sioux City, Iowa
    Hey Willie
    I went down to our bow shop today to get some nock sets. In conversation I asked about the 4 fletched arrows whick my JoJans will also do. He told me people dont ask for them as much anymore but that is still all he uses for hunting. He told me the wind doesnt effect them as much, all feathers can match if you like and if you are grabbing an arrow in haste out of your quiver you are not wasting time looking for a cock feather. He didnt think there was any negatives about them other than maybe a little more feather contact on the shelf but didnt think that was much of an issue. He also said I would have to go from a 5" feather to a 4". I would like to try dipping some 2018's and 4 fletch them to see how they come out. We have a guy here in town that builds his own beautiful pine arrows from scratch for a hobby. If I can finagle an invite I would love to watch what he is doing.
    Tight Lines
    Danny

11. flathead willie

State:
    Virginia
    Well Andy, Danny just helped me answer a couple of your questions. I shoot 4 fletched for all the reasons Danny talked about. I hunt close up and usually in the thickest stuff I can find. I just grab an arrow and nock it. I don't have to worry about a cock feather. I don't have to buy different colored vanes. After losing several arrows in the woods I went to all white fletching. White also makes it real easy to follow the flight of the arrow so I know exactly where an animal is hit.
    I bought a dozen shafts and fletched them, but most of the ones I just did are from sets I've had made over the years that wound up with broken nocks or damaged fletching. That is one reason I stick with the tried and true. 95% of the arrows I have are Easton XX75 2117's. Years ago I got tired of buying cheap arrows and having to replace them every year because they got bent. These don't bend very easily. I used 2117's because my first compound bow was 70# and that is what the Easton arrow chart recommended as a mid line spine weight for a 70# bow. If you are not familiar with Aluminum arrow sizes; 2117 means that the diameter of the shaft is 21 hundreds of an inch and the wall of the tube is 17 thousands of an inch thick. All arrows flex when shot. proper spine weight keeps them from flexing too much or breaking when released.
    To get your proper length, you can go to a bow shop that has a sizing rig, (a bow with a graduated arrow attached) or you can draw your bow to your anchor point and have someone measure from the string at nock point to about 1 inch in front of the handle. Another method is to put a yard stick in the center of your chest, and hold it with both hands in a praying fashion out in front of you, arms extended all the way. Where your middle fingers meet on the yard stick is your arrow length. Arrow length is not all that critical if you are using sights. What is critical is making sure the arrows are not so short that you can overdraw and wind up with a broadhead in the back of your bow hand! Ouch!
    Broad heads are a touchy matter these days. It all comes down to kinetic energy at the target. It is a result of [ velocity (speed) X mass (WEIGHT)]. I hunt close (most shots are 50 feet or less) with a recurve bow so speed and flat trajectory are not an issue for me. For that reason I prefer a heavy arrow with a heavy Broad Head. I shoot 145 grain Bear Razor Heads. The main thing is to get arrow/head combination that will penetrate well with a "less then ideal" shot, and be sure the head is razor sharp.
    I hope I've been of some help to you and your son. Good hunting!

12. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    Thanks Willie, I was going to ask about the aluminum arrows. I like you and Danny am a do-it yourselfer, and I like to gather info so I don't look to stupid. I do Thank everyone for trying to guide me. Later Andy

13. STC T&F

STC T&F New Member

State:
    Union, MO
    I use the Arizone E-Z-Fletch. It is very easy to use and does all three vaves that the same time. They run about $30. Vanes are a personal preferance.