Building an AR-15

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by iabowhunter, Mar 9, 2009.

1. iabowhunter

iabowhunter New Member

State:
    South East Iowa
    Anyone ever built an AR-15? This is something I have been wanting to do for some time and if I want to do it, I better get to it. Assuming I can get a lower reciever that is. I've been hearing that they have been selling like hotcakes and dealers are back ordering them.

Anyone have any advice that they are willing to share? I don't know too much about them other then I want one.

Thanks for any info.

2. beshears

beshears Active Member

State:
    Missouri
    Brownells.com has on line videos on every part of building an AR-15. Right now the parts are diffcult to find. Gunbroker.com is a on line firearms auction site and you find about anything there. Most of the parts are pretty high now that the anti gunners are in office but adviable.

3. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I have a buddy that has built several,He is mech inclined and it was a snap for him,Mostly read and follow directions he said.

4. Wanda BARNER

Wanda BARNER Active Member

State:
    Missouri
    Name:
    Wanda
    Its very nice to fire that first shot after building your own AR. I would first invest in a AGI video on building an ar. Then, like you know ,finding your lower is the next step. I always got them over the internet,if you know a dealer that will do the transfer , and not charge too much. After that all parts can come direct to you . I have bought parts from all over , makes and models and never had a problem with them interchanging. As you have found I am sure , the market is very good right now for black guns. You will have fun doing this, and I realy dont see them getting much cheaper. Have fun with this project, I am sure there are lots of people on here that can help with info.

5. Marshall

Marshall New Member

State:
    Junction City,
    Building your own is the way to go. You get a top of the line AR for less than a grand, minus accessories of course. Their addicting thats for sure. Catfishing and my AR is keeping me broke. lol The wife dont like it much ethier. But if your gonna build one I would do it ASAP. Things have slowed a bit but prices are close to doubling for .223 ammo. the fist of jan. i payed 5.50 a box for wolf 55gr FMJs the last i bought were 9.79. Its crazy. I say build it though. You can shop around on the net and find a new striped lower reciecver for a couple hundred bucks, lower parts kit for about a hundred and an upper for four to five hundred. Check out www.ar15.com you can find anything you need to know about ARs there. Good luck ya.

6. iabowhunter

iabowhunter New Member

State:
    South East Iowa
    Thanks for the replies! I hope to have a price and availability check on a DPMS stripped lower and a complete lower with a CAR buttstock tomorrow sometime. If the dealer can get it, I'm gonna snag it.

7. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    P.M. Sent....dont pay retail....:crazy::crazy::crazy:

8. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    PM me before you start your build. I will not start debating what is the best on here, but I have tried most of the bigger names and like Olympic Arms.
    I worked in an army arms room before so i am pretty good with these guns.

9. iabowhunter

iabowhunter New Member

State:
    South East Iowa
    Thanks for the replies and info. PM's sent.

Still haven't heard from the dealer yet. Hope I will tomorrow.

10. jedimanhunter

jedimanhunter New Member

State:
    Texas
    I am a Colt Defense M-16/Ar15/9mmSMG Certified armorer. If i can you you out give with anything send me a PM or post your question here. I TDI them quiet often for my department.

11. iabowhunter

iabowhunter New Member

State:
    South East Iowa
    Thank you guys.

Damn! I picked the right rifle to build. We have some experts here!!!!!

12. DCcatfisher

DCcatfisher New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I hope you have better luck than one of my buddies finding parts. He is currently building two different rifles, an AR-15 in .223 and another one in .308. He is having trouble getting parts from our usual suppliers here in NC. He is also getting class 3 permits to have both of them suppressed. I can't wait until he gets them done so I can shoot them.

13. iabowhunter

iabowhunter New Member

State:
    South East Iowa
    The lower is ordered and should be here in 2 weeks!

As far as the upper....I hear that there is a 2 month wait on them. It'll be worth it though!

Thanks for all the advice and info.

14. iabowhunter

iabowhunter New Member

State:
    South East Iowa
    The lower is built and waiting for an upper. The upper assy. is ordered or back ordered i should say. I have at least a 12 week wait on it. Time to start reloading some .223 shells.

Anyone have any .223 brass they want to sell?