Building a plywood boat

Discussion in 'Boating' started by catfishing is fun, Feb 25, 2007.

1. catfishing is fun

catfishing is fun New Member

State:
    Missouri/Michigan
    going to try building a little boat, that i can row out to the middle of a lake, untill i can afford an outboard, i found a site with plans on it, im thinking about one of these

http://www.boatplans-online.com/proddetail.php?prod=FL12

dose it look doable to a first time builder, also do you think two peole about 150lb a peice could fish from it safely

Thanks for the help,
    Marshall

PS-any boat builders, please help

2. special liberty

special liberty New Member

State:
    Maryland
    Guy back home in Illinois on Lake Shelbyville died in a homemade boat recently. Look around, you can find a small, used jon boat that has built in floatation (unsinkable) for less than it would cost to build one out of marine plywood.

3. catfishing is fun

State:
    Missouri/Michigan
    the lake im talking about is easyly swimmable, but ill probibly always hae a pfd

4. LiquidSteel

LiquidSteel New Member

State:
    La Vista N
    I want you to build it 50 cubits by 50 cubits........
    :haha:

Honestly, whatever you do, always wear that pfd! About two years ago a guy right out of highschool that was on the all state swim team drowned. No flotation device whatsoever.

5. catfishing is fun

State:
    Missouri/Michigan
    I will always have a PFD (my moms rule), but I dont think you grasp the smallness of this lake, i have swam across it, with to rod and reels, a tackle bag and a chair, its pretty small lol

6. jerry9497

jerry9497 New Member

State:
    Tobaccoville NC
    thats nice looking boat but I don't think it could be built cheaply. The sample picture I bet cost more than a $1000 a jon boat can be had for couple hundred.

7. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    There is no better boat then one you build.
    He is one of the very best in the business when it comes to boat design and engineering.
    I've got half a dozen of his power boat plans among other designers plans.
    Jacques' pans are better suited for the amateur and easy to follow.
    He has people totally retarded about something like a skilsaw building nice boats! Boats nice enough to sell for profit.

Yep, you can save money and build a better boat then you can buy.
    You can save more money on a larger boat. Paddle boats the savings arent as much or if you are a beginner you may not save at all but you have an heirloom when your done, not something to take to the dump.

The hull materials for the 18' OD18 that I bought were 1500.00 and that included some upgrading at the time. That is a complete hull minus painting.
    I can have that hull to the point of painting in a matter of a several weeks while working a fulltime job.
    You could rig this one out really nice with alot of bells and whistles, brand new engine and trailer and still come in under 12,000. Half of what it would bring on the market compared to an equal boat.

The 26 foot lobster boat I'll begin in the next few years. I can turn key with a budget of 25,000. It'll easily market in the 70-80,000 dollar range as built and rigged.

An amateur thats never built a boat in his life can build any of those designs if he has a basic mechanical ability.

My advice. Since its your first and its not going to be a planing hull I would find some really nice looking exterior plywood to use for building.
    You are wise to begin with a small boat to learn the technique of crafting these boats. After you build this one you are ready for anything he has.
    Have fun! I sure do. There aint nothing like it to me, even fishing.

As far as safe, Jacques' boats are overdesigned. There is plenty of safety built into these boats. Some of these designs by Coastguard standards would allow a 500 horse engine. That would be insane as the boat would be no slacker with the recomended 200.
    The OD 18 would take alot bigger motor then recomended max of 75 but who would want to be on it going 70MPH? The transom will hold it no doubt.
    These boats are lighter, stronger, and more efficient then anything you'll buy in comparison.
    If I won the lottery today I'd still build instead of buy.

8. Indigo Flats

Indigo Flats New Member

State:
    Lancaster,
    Go for it!

You will have something to proud of for a long time and the self-satisfaction will last a life time.

9. catsmith1

catsmith1 New Member

State:
    Haughton, Louisiana
    Go for it! Just follow the plans to the letter. It will not be cheap if that is your goal.

There would be a great since of satisfaction involved.

10. catfishing is fun

State:
    Missouri/Michigan
    Mark J,
    I seem to think (know) that you know your stuff, but for this boat that i chose, with the nice plywood, do you think i could build it for under 500-600 dollars?

11. BigCatDreaming

BigCatDreaming New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Man...for someone who has no creativity as far as wood working goes, I might just stick with buying something. if your just looking for something to get you to the middle of a lake there are numerous small craft designs you can look up. Plus if its not very long and its a deep v design, I'd be worried about even standing up because of the stability problem

12. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Let me do some figuring.

I know Jacques allows for 15% wastage of materials. If you read , read ,read and plan (be prepared) before you ever mix the first ounce of epoxy what they have packaged in the kits will be enough.
    Beginners typically use more material then the kits. Thats OK too. You have to learn the technique and thats why I say its better to learn on a small boat then say a boat with 17 gallons of epoxy in the kit. Where you might go over a gallon on the 12 footer you might go 7 gallons over on a 23 footer as a beginner.
    I dont see any possible way to mess up one of the boats if you follow the plans. Where most people mess up is not in the construction itself its in the balance. They keep adding not paying attention to the balance but that is a rare occurence.

Stitch and glue is catered to the beginner though. Plank on frame is more difficult as the frame has to be faired before planking and requires alot more tooling and skill.

13. catfishing is fun

State:
    Missouri/Michigan

Thanks, I think im gonna start saving my money, and im gonna go for it

14. bigredsbbq

bigredsbbq New Member

State:
    Illinois
    i got a little 6 hp sea king motor that would go nice on there i'll sell for $100 I've never gasssed it up and started it but the guy I bought it from says it ran last time he used it

15. catfishing is fun

State:
    Missouri/Michigan

I'm tight on cash, ill get intouch with you when i get it finished, or know how much i will have when i get it finished

16. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    By the way, its not a plywood boat, its a composite boat.
    Plywood or foam board is the core material in these boats and used to give the boat its shape. The glass and epoxy you add to it forms a composite hull. A high strength composite. The plywood core is bullet proof compared to other building materials and is used widely from small boats to multi million dollar ocean crossing yachts for its strength to weight ratio.

17. catfishing is fun

State:
    Missouri/Michigan
    Thanks mark, your a smart guy

18. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Marshall, do u know how to use the tools, that u would need to build a boat? Or have u forgot about that u need tools. U will need a Table Saw or Circular Saw, Jigsaw, Hammer, and a few other tools. Boatbuilding is no small task u got to know what u is doing, u might can get a boat cheaper than u build one.

19. catfishing is fun

State:
    Missouri/Michigan
    I will be building it with the help of my uncle, any tools that i dont know how to build, he is for sure to know

20. porboy

porboy New Member

State:
    TX Panhand
    You might do a search on this site. There was a gentleman that posted in the last
    year and a half that had built quite a few boats and it was very easy to do. I saved it somewhere and if I find it I will post the link. But it should come up on a search real easy. Anyway he had the plans and led you right through the whole process.