Building a lure/bait/urine container ...

Discussion in 'Trapping & Fur Taking' started by RetiredToFish, Oct 14, 2008.

1. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    It seems like every year I either don't get a lid on tight or I drop something that causes one of my bottles of lure, urine or bait to break. I have a pouch on my trap basket that I use when I go into the field, but don't need to carry beaver lure when I am trapping for fox. So I have come up with a carrier that goes with me in the van and hopefully it is safe enough nothing will spill or break this year. I am sure most have some kind of system worked out ... but If you don't here is my solution.

MATERIALS:

1 - 25# Deck Screw Container (empty)
    1 - 3" x 14" x 14" piece of poly foam

TOOLS:

1 - Very sharp fillet knife

DIRECTIONS:

This container is just high enough that my 8 oz. squeeze urine bottles will fit. The container is 10" x 10" x 6½" high.

(Photo No3.jpg)

I trimmed the piece and cut it to size.

(Photo No1.jpg)

With a felt tipped marker I drew around the bottles ... locating them so there was enough clearance to clear the inside lip of the lid. Then I cut out openings for the bottles.

(Photo No2.jpg)

(continued)

Attached Files:

• No1.jpg
      No1.jpg
      File size:
      19.6 KB
      Views:
    • No2.jpg
      No2.jpg
      File size:
      20.1 KB
      Views:
    • No3.jpg
      No3.jpg
      File size:
      28.1 KB
      Views:
  2. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    Placed my foam in the container ... making sure it was pushed down as far as it would go. Make sure that for taller bottles (8 oz. urine bottles)... that the hole is pretty clean at the bottom. There isn't a whole lot of room and any foam under them will keep container lid from closing.

(Photo No4.jpg)

(Photo No5.jpg)

Secure the lid and you are ready to go. Another thought with using this container is that I can easily take it inside at night so there will be no chance of freezing.

(Photo No6.jpg)

The container secures very tight and firm and there is absolutely no jiggling of the bottles. You could also use a 2" piece of foam, but this all I could find. Happy Trapping.

Attached Files:

• No4.jpg
      No4.jpg
      File size:
      22 KB
      Views:
    • No5.jpg
      No5.jpg
      File size:
      26.3 KB
      Views:
    • No6.jpg
      No6.jpg
      File size:
      29.8 KB
      Views:

3. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

that would work out pretty slick.i just carry very little and the glass bottle bottles i do carry i wrap in bubble wrap and carry them in my bag