Building a homemade ladder stand

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by e5catfish, Nov 15, 2005.

1. e5catfish

e5catfish New Member

State:
    Smilax, KY
    I'm considering building a homemade ladder stand out of treated 2x4's. Does anyone have any plans or designs on the proper dimensions or size of materials involved? Want a 15 footer with a 24" by 40" platform. Already have one drawn out but occured to me that some of you brothers might already have experience with this and be able to save me some time and mistakes. Would appreciate your input.
    Thanks, Bobby

2. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    Sounds like you got a good start. Ive been building em for years but never used any plans. One thing i wish I had done was make it big enough for two people. Also I will no longer use plywood for the platform, since it curls up kinda quick. I would think about using something bigger than 2x4's for the main legs. I also use 6" lag bolts to attach the platform to the tree. One other thing I wish I had done was put some type of roof on. I also use scrap plywood for concealment for walls. When your ready to put it up bring a atv or truck and strong rope cause them things get heavy.

3. THE FISH WHISPER'ER

THE FISH WHISPER'ER New Member

State:
    waynesville ,IL
    there not verry portable you will need help getting it up , make shure you anchor it good ,derby has a good point dont use solid platforms like plywood they get mighty slipery

4. steveg442

steveg442 New Member

State:
    missouri
    I also use all thread rod and cut it to whatever size I need and double nut it on both ends. I don't like to use nails they back out to easy.

5. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Use plenty of screws, Nails will work out. but the screws will hold.
    I started building mine out of steel tubing, They are better and last . Also are so much lighter then the wood stands.
    PEte

6. Big Country01

Big Country01 New Member

State:
    brandon,florida
    i make mine out of electical conduit my main ladder section is 1" pipe and the rest is 3/4"pipe and i wire weld it all up.. i have made quite a few for me and my buddies also had a few get the chains cut and stolen guess the thiefs like em' too....

7. Bayoubear

Bayoubear New Member

State:
    near that hellhole dallas
    i saw a neat thing in i think? the current "deer and deer hunting" mag in the back advertisements. are these metal brackets for sale that you simply insert 4x4 lumber posts into to make a deer stand. i plan on trying a set of these next year to see how well they work. more for use as a box stand support i think but still a clever idea.

i used to hunt ladder stands quite a bit and have built many. never used plans to make them either. if to be a somewhat permanent stand i just go ahead now and build a box. keeps rain off of you, provides a shooting rest, and conceals movement. for temporary stands i just use a lawnchair and cammo myself real well. ive also seen quite a few tubing based ladder stands for sale quite cheaply- if i were to use a ladder stand again it would likely be one of these.

a variation on the ladder stand which i do still use is a platform stand. easiest done 'tween two trees. you will need a ladder to construct it, (i use a stepladder on the bed of my pickup) and you lose any portability but to me they are safer and not as wibbly-wobbly as ladders. i did make a two person ladder stand once but used 2x4's as the main supports. i did not trust it enough to allow a second person up there with me, id go with the 4x4's.

8. nosnag

nosnag New Member

State:
    Florida
    Do'nt have plans for one.Just used to use 4x4's and used pallets from the stores. They mostly give them away. A couple pieces of flat metal stock anchored with lag bolts secures the pallets very well.

9. Big Country01

Big Country01 New Member

State:
    brandon,florida
    hey nosnag, i believe i'm gonna be out you your way this week end i'll be headed up to steinhatchee for a weekend of huntin' i'll be toten one of homemade stands if you wanna get an idea for a cheap ladder stand........