Building a custom deck/platform(s) in your aluminum boat.

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by tanner, Mar 27, 2006.

1. tanner

tanner New Member

State:
    Somerset, Kentucky
    Does anyone have a good link to a tutorial/book or something that gives good information for a beginner that wants to modify an aluminum boat by adding decks/platforms and carpet? I tried searching through here and couldn't find anything. I'm just not very resourceful . :)

2. solomon

solomon New Member

State:
    MS

3. tanner

tanner New Member

State:
    Somerset, Kentucky
    thanks brother! :)

4. rookie_cater

rookie_cater New Member

State:
    Milford,Ohio
    One thing to rember is that they make a marine grade "JB Weld"! I have used it to mount some plugs that I made in my boat to mount my troling ,motor onto.

5. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    There is also a website out there that sells an alum "welding" stick that you heat with a bottle torch like you would use for a lantern. Aluminum melts at like 1400 degrees (I think) and this stuff melts at half of the temp it takes to melt aluminum and the "weld" is stronger than the parent material. I was going to make a pond hopper out of an old time paddle boat with alum toons about 10' long and gave up as I didn't have a way to transport it. I contacted the site and asked if what I wanted to "weld" would be recommended and they told me, no problem that's what it's made for. Wasn't very expensive either. another option is to fabricate the deck and get everything ready and take it to a welding shop and get it done there so all they have to do is the welding and none of the fabricating. If you want the website for the welding sticks PM me and I'll find it and get it to you.

6. gofish

gofish New Member

State:
    Greenville MS

That's a good link. Thanks for sharing that. I tried to give you rep points but I must 'spread the love' first. I'm going to be building deer blinds similar to that this summer.

7. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
  8. dgde4x4man

dgde4x4man New Member

State:
    La Moille, Illinois
    Give me a shout hoss. I have done it with my boat. Even made custom tackle drawers in the back under the deck I built. I will try and get some pics up some time soon for ya.

9. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence