Building a casting deck?

Discussion in 'Boat Repair Help' started by IL_CATFISH, Aug 1, 2006.

1. IL_CATFISH

IL_CATFISH New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Hey fellas, I am wanting to construct a casting deck on the front of an old jon boat. Its 16 foot flat bottom which is a pretty wide and deep boat. There is already a good sized bow deck on the boat however I need more room to accomodate my trolling motor/fish finder. Do you guys have any suggestions as to where I may find some plans for building something like this. I am by no means handy with any wood working tool however I really want to do this myself. I am potentially thinking of adding some storage under this deck as well (might as well, right?). Any materials, plans, ideas you guys have would be greatly appreciated. This boat actually does not have a live well so I was even thinking of adding one up there perhaps. Any help would be greatly appreciated guys.

Thanks,
    Ryan

2. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I built mine out of plywood and 2 x 4's. Just don't put any screws below the water line. I would suggest finding one that you like and checking it out.

3. samh

samh New Member

State:
    Damascus,Arkansas
    If it has already got a deck and you just want to make it bigger, you might want to see about building a drop in unit. I built one in my old bass boat. It's just a big storage box I made out of plywood and 2 X 2's, with a hinged lid. It fits all the way across the boat and butts up against the deck. It's heavy enough to stand on, gives me storage and can be taken out if need be. I just built it to fit the space and level with the deck.

4. IL_CATFISH

IL_CATFISH New Member

State:
    Illinois
    did you make storage below yours? Do you have any pics by chance?

5. IL_CATFISH

IL_CATFISH New Member

State:
    Illinois
    the only problem is that i may have to mount the trolling motor pedal on it

6. curveball

curveball New Member

State:
    Saint Clairsville, Ohio
    I had a 14 ft. jon and added the casting deck by using 5/8 inch plywood over the little section in the boat. I increased the size of the deck, used little aluminum I channel (like used to build support for a porch on a house) as the support for extra deck beyond what was there. I used small "L" brackets on the bottom of I channel to glue it in place on boat. Top of I channel I fastened to plywood with screws. For storage I cut a hole in the middle of the plywood and metal from small section to open up all the area underneath. I then cut a lid from plywood and used small hinges to make the lid for the storage area. I would not put the livewell and the storage right next to each other in case there would be a leak in the livewell. Fact is, I fish for bass and I only catch and release so I have turned my livewell into my gas tank holder. It was in the mid-ship of the boat by the builder so I drilled a large enough hole in the edge to get my gas line through. Gas tank is out of the way, weight is mid-ships and oil, rags, etc. are all enclosed and safe from the other guy that smokes. (I hope)
    Hope this helps. I just built a set back for my 9.9 motor out of 3/4 oak plywood doubled and bolted to transom with 9" by 1/2" bolts. Is that overkill?
    Joe

7. BOWHOG1

BOWHOG1 New Member

State:
    NC
    SAW A WEB SITE WHILE SURFING FOR "HOW TO MODIFY A JON BOAT" CHECK IT OUT ..LOTS OF PICS.

8. crazfish

crazfish New Member

State:
    arkansas
    I BOUGHT A BRAND NEW 14 FOOT JONBOAT LAST YEAR AND MADE A LOW PROFILE CASTING DECK BY USING BED FRAMES, MINIMUM AS POSSIBLE YET STRONG. THEY ARE BASICALLY THE SAME AS ANGLE IRON. I MADE IT BY MAKING TREE ROWS OF BRACES FROM THE FRONT OF THE MIDDLE SEAT, ON THE FLOOR TO ALMOST TO THE FRONT SEATAND BOLTED THE PIECES TOGETHER AFTER DOING SOME FIGURING AND THEN USED PRESSURE TREATED 3/4 INCH PLYWOOD AND CUT IT OUT TO THE FORM OF THE BOAT, ADDED SEAT PLATES FOR THE POST AND SEAT. WORKS OUT WELL AND STILL LIGHT. I DO NOT RECOMMEND USING WOOD TOO MUCH FOR BRACING BECAUSE THEY TEND TO WEIGH DOWN THE BOAT QUITE A BIT MORE THEN JUST A FEW PIECES OF ANGLE IRON( OR BED FRAME TO SAVE MONEY) I ALSO CARPETED IT AND IT DOES A GREAT JOB. I ALSO DID CHECK OUT THE SITE " HOW TO CHANGE A JONBOAT TO A BASSBOAT" AND THAT IS WHAT GOT ME GOING ON THIS IDEA. ANYWAY, KEEP THE WOOD TO A LIMIT BECAUSE IT DOES WEIGH YOUR BOAT DOWN ALOT AND WILL MAKE IT HARDER FOR YOUR BOAT TO MOVE. GOOD LUCK!

9. curveball

curveball New Member

State:
    Saint Clairsville, Ohio
    hey, found something better than the plywood. Somewhere on this site I saw the idea of using old road signs. (do not take them off a post as that is again the law) check scrap dumps and metal dealers. Anyway, I found two at a scrap dump and the owner gave them to me. I laid them out on my aluminum framing from plywood deck, marked and cut them and filled in the areas with the scraps. Then used metal piercing screws and fastened them down to the framing. Stood on it yesterday and seemed solid as all get out. Now, I will carpet it and have just as good a deck as the plywood but a whole lot lighter. That can only help the boat do better. Whoops, also put new storage under with 3/8" plywood lids (wood working you know). Carpet it all and go fishing. Deck is 53" from front to rear and 55" wide at best, plenty of room for trolling motor petal, seat, me and the neighbor.

10. texasboy1

texasboy1 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I to have built the deck in my boat, out of treated plywood and treated 1x4. My foot control trolling motor is attached to it and so is my LCR and GPS. I built storage under it for my battery and onboard charger. I fish alot, at least 100 days a year on average. Mine is 3 years old and I had to replace some of my bracing last year. If I have to do it again in the coming years I will use Aluminum for the deck and braces.

11. ps72103

ps72103 New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    if you have a aluminum bout use untreated wood just paint the wood, i read somewhere on here that if you use treated wood a chemical use in the treating process reacts with aluminum and turns your boat into a battery

any day fishing is a good day